February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 24 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 24. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 24 February:
- 1483: The first Mughal ruler Babur was born.
- 1708: Prince Johann Willem Friso sworn in as Viceroy of Groningen.
- 1711: George Frederick Handel’s opera “Rinaldo” premieres at the Haymarket Theater in London.
- 1739: Battle of Karnal: The army of the Iranian ruler Nadir Shah defeated the army of Mohammad Shah, the Mughal Emperor of India.
- 1779: George Rogers Clarke captures Vincennes from the British.
- 1803: Mabbery v. Madison: The Supreme Court of the United States established the doctrine of judicial review.
- 1822: The world’s first Swami Narayan temple is inaugurated in Ahmedabad.
- 1822: First Swaminarayan Temple, Kalpur Swaminarayan Temple in Ahmedabad inaugurated in British Raj.
- 1839: William Otis receives a patent for a steam shovel.
- 1857: The first American stamp is handed over to the government.
- 1882: Infectious disease TB identified.
- 1890: Selected to host the Chicago Columbian Exhibition.
- 1893: American University established in Washington DC by an Act of Congress.
- 1918: European country Estonia gained independence from Russia.
- 1918: Armenia, Azerbaijan, and the city of Georgia, Georgia, gained independence from Russia in the form of the Transskogen Democratic Democratic Republic.
- 1945: Egypt and Syria declare war against Nazi Germany.
- 1948: Jayalalithaa, who traveled from film to politics, was born.
- 1961: Madras government decided to rename the state to Tamil Nadu.
- 1969: Mariner 6 Mars investigation launched from the United States.
- 1974: Pakistan officially recognized Bangladesh.
- 1998: Famous Hindi film actress Lalita Pawar passed away.
- 2003: 257 dead due to severe earthquake in Jijiang Province of China.
- 2004: Russian President Vladimir Putin removed Prime Minister Mikhail Kasyanov from his post.
- 2006: Emergency imposed after coup attempt in Philippines.
- 2013: Raul Castro was elected President of Cuba for a second term.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1304: Ibn Battuta, a Muslim Berber Moroccan scholar and explorer.
- 1670: Rajaram I, the younger son of Maratha ruler Shivaji Maharaj.
- 1924: Talat Mahmood, an Indian playback singer.
- 1938: Philip Knight, the co-founder and chairman emeritus of Nike, Inc.
- 1939: Joy Mukherjee, an Indian film actor, and director.
- 1942: Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak, an Indian scholar, literary theorist, and feminist critic.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1810: Henry Cavendish, an English natural philosopher, scientist, and an important experimental and theoretical chemist.
- 1815: Robert Fulton, an American engineer, and inventor.
- 1986: Rukmini Devi Arundale, an Indian Bharatanatyam dancer.
- 1998: Lalita Pawar, a prolific Indian actress.
- 2011: Anant Pai, an Indian educationalist and a pioneer in Indian comics.
- 2018: Sridevi, an Indian actress, and producer.