February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 25 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 25. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 25 February:
- 1586: Akbar’s court poet Birbal is killed in a battle with the rebel Yusufzai.
- 1746: Aberdeen is captured by the soldiers of the King of the Cumberland.
- 1797: William Tate surrenders to the British at Fishguard.
- 1837: First American electric printing press patented by Thomas Davenport.
- 1847: State University of Iowa approved.
- 1875: Kiva Indians surrender at Fort Sail under Lone Wolf (Giogogo).
- 1879: US Congress passes the first Timberland Conservation Act.
- 1894: Religious leader Meher Baba was born in Pune.
- 1945: During the Second World War, Turkey declared war on Germany.
- 1952: The sixth Winter Olympic Games concludes in the Norwegian capital of Oslo.
- 1962: Congress party wins general election.
- 1975: Shah Faisal, the then ruler of Saudi Arabia, was assassinated by his own nephew, Prince Faisal bin Mussad.
- 1988: India’s first surface-to-surface missile Prithvi launched successfully.
- 1996: 25 people were killed and 40 injured by two suicide bombs in Israel, Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
- 2000: Approval of bilateral extradition treaty with India by Russia’s lower parliament Duma.
- 2003: Accepted ‘Kuala Lumpur Declaration’ at the 13th Summit of the Non-Aligned Movement.
- 2006: Deepa Mehta’s film ‘Water’ won the ‘Golden Kinari’ award.
- 2008: HDFC And the share ratio was approved for the merger of Centurion Bank of Punjab. The film ‘Nine Country for Old Man’ was voted Best Film of the Year at the 80th Oscar Academy.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1884: Ravishankar Vyas, an Indian independence activist, social worker, and Gandhian.
- 1903: Kailas Nath Wanchoo, the tenth Chief Justice of India.
- 1938: Farokh Engineer, a former Indian cricketer.
- 1943: George Harrison, an English musician, singer, songwriter, and music and film producer.
- 1948: Danny Denzongpa, an Indian film actor, singer, and film director.
- 1974: Divya Bharti, an Indian film actress.
- 1981: Shahid Kapoor, an Indian actor.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1999: Glenn Theodore Seaborg, an American chemist.
- 2001: Sir Donald George Bradman, an Australian international cricketer.
- 2016: Bhavarlal Hiralal Jain, an Indian entrepreneur.
- 2017: William Paxton, an American actor, and director.