February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 26 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 26. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 26 February:
- 1773: Construction rights granted for Walnut St. Jail (Philadelphia).
- 1832: Constitution of Poland removed.
- 1848: 2 The French Republic was declared.
- 1863: US President Lincoln signs the American Currency Act.
- 1863: Abraham Lincoln signed the National Currency Act.
- 1866: The New York Legislature created the Neek Metropolitan Board of Health.
- 1885: In the final act “Struggle for Africa” of the Berlin Conference controlled European colonialism and trade.
- 1910: Austria – Hungary gave the United States the status of the most favored nation.
- 1925: Jihad begins against Turkish government.
- 1958: The remains of an ancient civilization were recovered at the site of Kot Di Ji Sindh in Pakistan, which was almost three hundred years older than the Mohenjodaro civilization.
- 1966: Freedom fighter Vinayak Damadar Savarkar died.
- 1972: President V.V. Giri dedicated the Vikram Earth satellite station located in Aravi near Wardha to the country.
- 1975: The country’s first kite museum ‘Shankar Kendra’ was established in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- 1993: Six people were killed and more than 100 injured in a bomb attack on the World Trade Center in New York.
- 1999: Rap singer Lauryn Hill sets a new record by winning five Grammy Awards.
- 2001: Sir Don Bradman, the greatest cricket player, passed away.
- 2003: London Congestion Charge Scheme launched.
- 2004: Macedonia President Beris Trej Kovsky died in a plane crash.
- 2007: Government of Nepal announces nationalization of Naresh’s property.
- 2008: India successfully test-fired a ballistic missile capable of carrying nuclear weapons.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1886: Narmadashankar Dave, a Gujarati poet.
- 1887: Anandibai Gopalrao Joshi, the first Indian female practitioner of western medicine.
- 1966: Vinayak Damodar Savarkar, an Indian independence activist and politician.
- 2004: Shankarrao Bhavrao Chavan, an Indian politician.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1802: Victor Marie Hugo, a French poet, novelist, and dramatist.
- 1829: Levi Strauss, a German-born American businessman who founded the first company to manufacture blue jeans, Levi Strauss & Co.
- 1874: Kalapi, Indian Gujrati poet.
- 1887: Sir Benegal Narsing Rau, an Indian diplomat and statesman known for his key role in drafting the Constitution of India.
- 1908: Leela Majumdar, a Bengali writer.
- 1922: Manmohan Krishna, a popular Indian film actor, and director.
- 1937: Manmohan Desai, a veteran Indian film producer, and director.
- 1957: Shaktikanta Das, former Governor of the Reserve bank of India.
- 1994: Bajrang Punia, a freestyle wrestler from India.