February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 27 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 27. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 27 February:
- 1594: Henry IV becomes King of France.
- 1700: New Britain’s island is discovered in the Western Pacific by William Dampier.
- 1816: The Dutch withdraw Suriname from France after Napoleon’s defeat.
- 1829: Battle of Tarki took place.
- 1874: Baseball first played in England at Lord’s Cricket Ground.
- 1902: American writer John Steinbeck is born.
- 1921: International Working Union of Socialist Party established in Vienna.
- 1931: Revolutionary and freedom fighter Chandrashekhar Azad shot himself to avoid arrest in an encounter with the British police at Alfred Park, Allahabad.
- 1951: The 22nd amendment to the US Constitution limits two terms for president.
- 1956: First Speaker of Lok Sabha G. V. Mavalankar died.
- 1956: Women get the right to vote in Egypt.
- 1974: President VV Giri dedicated the Nehru Memorial Museum at Teen Murti in New Delhi to the nation.
- 1982: Abul Fatral Mohammad Ahsanuddin Chaudhary appointed as the President of Bangladesh.
- 1988: Helicopter Postal Service was inaugurated for the first time.
- 1991: President Bush declares victory over Iraq and orders ceasefire.
- 1995: A car bomb blast in Jakho, northern Iraq, killed about 54 people.
- 2002: A fire broke out in a coach of Sabarmati train near Godhra railway station, killing 59 people. These deaths led to communal violence in Gujarat.
- 2004: A terrorist bombs a boat in the Philippines, killing 116 people.
- 2013: A fire in a market in Kolkata, West Bengal killed 20 people.
- 2015: Russian politician Boris Nemtsov is assassinated in Moscow.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1807: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, an American poet, and educator.
- 1899: Charles Best, American-Canadian medical scientist and one of the co-discoverers of insulin.
- 1912: Vishnu Vāman Shirwādkar, popularly known by his pen name, Kusumāgraj, an eminent Marathi poet, playwright, novelist, and short-story writer.
- 1925: Shyama Charan Shukla, Indian politician and the Chief Minister of undivided Madhya Pradesh.
- 1934: Manoj Das, an Indian author who writes in Odia and English.
- 1943: B. S. Yediyurappa, an Indian politician and the 19th and current Chief Minister of Karnataka.
- 1952: Prakash Jha, an Indian film producer, actor, director, and screenwriter.
- 1986: Sandeep Singh, an Indian professional field hockey.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1931: Chandra Shekhar Azad, an Indian revolutionary.
- 1936: Ivan Petrovich Pavlov, a Russian physiologist.
- 1956: Ganesh Vasudev Mavalankar, first Speaker of the Constituent Assembly of India.
- 1997: Shyamalal Babu Rai, an Indian Hindi film lyricist.
- 2010: Nanaji Deshmukh, a social reformer and politician from India.