February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 28 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 28. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 28 February:
- 1668: Sambhaji, son of Maratha ruler Shivaji, died due to imprisonment and torture by Mughal ruler Aurangzeb.
- 1704: Indians attack Dirfield Mass. 40 killed and 100 kidnapped.
- 1728: Maratha Peshwa Bajirao Pratham defeated the Mughal governors of the Deccan, Qamar-ud-din Khan, Asif Yah, Nizam-ul-Mulk, at the Battle of Palkhed.
- 1749: The first edition of Henry Fildings “Tom Jones” is published.
- 1759: Pope Clement XIII allowed the Bible to be translated into various languages.
- 1767: King Takasin became the king of Thailand and made Thonburi his capital.
- 1784: John Wesley appointed ministers for the Methodist Church in the United States.
- 1838: Patriots leader Robert Nelson declares independence of Lower Canada (today Quebec).
- 1845: United States Congress approves takeover of Texas.
- 1850: University of Utah opened in Salt Lake City Utah.
- 1854: Republican Party formally organized in Rec.
- 1861: Colorado established as a territory of the United States.
- 1885: The first session of the Indian National Congress was held in Bombay, attended by 72 delegates.
- 1896: Vande Mataram was sung for the first time at the Calcutta session of the Indian National Congress.
- 1908: An earthquake in Messina, Italy, killed about 80 people.
- 1928: C.V. Raman invented the Raman effect for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize.
- 1932: Dhirubhai Ambani, founder of business giant Reliance Industries, was born.
- 1942: Robert Sullivan became the first pilot to fly over the Atlantic Ocean a hundred times.
- 1950: ‘The Peak District’ becomes Britain’s first national park.
- 1963: The first President of India, Rajendra Prasad died.
- 1974: 5200 dead in a 6.3 magnitude earthquake in Pakistan.
- 1982: Adobe System was established.
- 1991: In the 40-day war of the Gulf of Fars, the then US President George Bush Sr. declared a ceasefire.
- 2003: Decided to deploy Sky Marshal ie security guard in some UK aircraft in the US.
- 2004: Gigli wins the 24th Golden Raspberry Award.
- 2007: A truck bombing in Baghdad, Iraq, killed 135 people and injured 339 others.
- 2013: Aam Aadmi Party formed the government in Delhi with the support of Congress.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1901: Linus Carl Pauling, an American chemist.
- 1927: Krishan Kant, the tenth Vice President of India.
- 1929: Rangaswamy Srinivasan, a physical chemist, and inventor.
- 1944: Ravindra Jain, an Indian Music Composer, lyricist, Playback Singer.
- 1947: Digvijaya Singh, an Indian politician.
- 1968: Varsha Usgaonkar, an Indian film actress.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1572: Udai Singh II, the Maharana of Mewar and the founder of the city of Udaipur
- 1936: Kamala Nehru, an Indian independence activist and the wife of Jawaharlal Nehru.
- 1963: Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India.
- 1967: Henry Robinson Luce, an American magazine magnate.
- 1998: Raja Gosavi, an Indian film and theatre actor.