February is the second month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It is the year’s shortest month with only 28 days in common years and 29 days in leap years.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. February 29 has its own special significance in India and world history.
February is named after the Latin word februum, or maybe even the more ancient februa, which was a spring festival of washing and purification.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on February 29. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 29 February:
- 1744: Natural philosopher John Theophilus Desaguelle of France died. He was a member of the Royal Society of London.
- 1780: Benjamin Franklin, the Omecran Delta Omega co-ed fraternity, was founded.
- 1792: Embryologist Karl Ernst von Baer was born, who discovered the mammal’s egg in 1827. He explained the development of the fetus from the layers of tissues.
- 1840: Irish-American scientist John Philip Holland is born. Who are considered to be the father of modern submarines. In 1898, he built the first underwater American vessel called Holland.
- 1860: Herman Hollerith invented the table machine.
- 1896: Former Prime Minister Morarji Desai was born, Morarji Desai was the sixth Prime Minister of India.
- 1928: Donna Culbride, American poet, writer and librarian, died. Who was the first official poet of America.
- 1936: Nature magazine published Niels Burr’s Bowl of Balls.
- 1960: Thousands of people died in the massive earthquake in the southern city of Agadir in Morocco. The magnitude of this earthquake was 6.7.
- 1984: Canadian Prime Minister, Pierre Trudeau announces retirement
- 1996: After four years of continuous firing and attacks, the siege of Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia, is over.
- 2004: Alexander Kellary of International Space Station passenger Michelle Foley landed in space, but returned to the station again due to a malfunction in the space suit.
- 2008: Famous litterateur Dr. Bachchan Singh was awarded the Sahitya Akademi Award for translation for the year 2008.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1896: Morarji Desai, an Indian independence activist and the 4th Prime Minister of India.
- 1904: Rukmini Devi Arundale, an Indian Bharatanatyam dancer.
- 1932: C. S.Seshadri, an Indian mathematician.
- 1984: Adam Sinclair, an Indian field hockey player.