According to Gregory calendar, January 18, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. January 18 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on January 18. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 18th January:
- 532: Nika uprising against Emperor Justinian I in Constantinople fails, 30,000 killed by troops loyal to the Emperor in the Hippodrome
- 1591: King Naresuan of Siam kills Crown Prince Minchit Sra of Burma in single combat, date is now observed as Royal Thai Armed Forces day
- 1788: First elements of the First Fleet carrying 736 convicts from England to Australia arrives at Botany Bay to set up a penal colony
- 1817: José de San Martín leads a revolutionary army over the Andes to attack Spanish royalists in Chile
- 1871: Second German Empire proclaimed by Kaiser Wilhelm I and Otto von Bismarck
- 1927: Sundaram Balachander, Indian veena player, born in Mylapore, Chennai, India (d. 1990)
- 1943: Soviets announce they have broken the long Siege of Leningrad by Nazi Germany by opening a narrow land corridor, though the siege would not be fully lifted until a year late
- 1985: Minnisha Lamba, Indian actress & model, born in New Delhi, India
- 1995: Kumble takes 16-99 in match for Karnataka v Kerala
- 1996: N T Rama Rao, Prime Minister of Andhra Pradesh India (1983-84, 84-89, 94-95), dies