According to Gregory calendar, January 19, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. January 19 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on January 19. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 19th January:
- 1597: Maharana Pratap, the Rajput king of Mewar, who chewed the chickens to the Mughals, died.
- 1764: John Wilkes is expelled from the House of Commons in Great Britain for treason.
- 1829: August Kalingemann’s Johann Wolfgang von Faust premiered at Braunschweig.
- 1905: Bangla litterateur Devendranath Tagore died.
- 1907: Iran’s famous musician Aminullah Hussain was born into an Iranian family in Turkmenistan.
- 1910: Commercial and friendly agreement between Germany and Bolivia ends.
- 1920: The US Senate votes against joining the League of Nations of America.
- 1921: Central American countries Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador signed the agreement.
- 1927: The British Government decides to send its army to China.
- 1938: General Motors begins mass production of diesel engines.
- 1942: Japan’s army invades Burma.
- 1949: Caribbean country Cuba recognizes Israel.
- 1966: Congress Party elected Indira Gandhi as its leader for the post of Prime Minister of India. Indira Gandhi was elected the fourth Prime Minister of India. Indira Gandhi was the only daughter of India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
- 1978: Judge William H. Webster of the Federal Court of Appeal is appointed FBI Director.
- 1990: Ignoring the ban on playing cricket with South Africa, a group of 15 cricketers from England arrived in Johannesburg to play cricket with South Africa.
- 2007: The decision to confer the Jawaharlal Nehru Award on Sultan Qaboos bin Saeed bin Timur al Saeed of Oman.
- 2013: Four climbers killed in avalanche in Glen Coe, Scotland.