According to Gregory calendar, January 22, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. January 22 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on January 22. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 22nd January:
- 1666: Mughal emperor Shah Jahan died.
- 1673: Postal service begins between New York and Boston.
- 1760: The British defeated the Franciscans in the Battle of Wandiwash.
- 1775: French physicist and mathematician André Ampère was born. He created an electronic telegraph and detected the intensity of electric motion and made an instrument to measure it.
- 1808: Bragansa Portuguese royal family escaped from the French army and came to Brazil.
- 1811:The Kas rebellion begins in San Antonio, Spanish Texas.
- 1824: Ashanti kills the British governor, Sir Charles McCarthy, to crush the British army on the Gold Coast.
- 1831: Eminent biologist Charles Darwin graduated.
- 1850: Alta California is a daily paper first published in Calif.
- 1880: Tuwang State School established in Queensland Australia.
- 1901: Queen Victoria of Britain died at the age of 82.
- 1906: SS Valencia Vancouver Island attacked a Canadian rock, killing 138 people.
- 1918: Ukrainian People’s Republic of Bolshevik declares independence in Russia.
- 1924: Ramsey Macdonald became the first Prime Minister of the Labor Party in Britain.
- 1924: Ramsay MacDonald became the first Labor Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- 1927: The Kid Brother, a comedy film starring Harold Lloyd, was published on screen.
- 1963: National Library for the Blind was established in Dehradun.
- 1963: France and West Germany sign the Elysée Treaty.
- 1970: The Boeing 747 begins its first commercial flight between New York and London.
- 1972: The entire population of Istanbul is under house arrest for a period of 24 hours.
- 1973: US Supreme Court gives legal recognition to abortion. The court said in its ruling that women can get abortions within the first 6 months of becoming pregnant.
- 1993: Indian Airlines plane crashes in Aurangabad, killing 61 passengers.
- 2003: NASA’s astronaut Pioneer 10, the farthest man-made vehicle from Earth, was last contacted.
- 2006: Eva Morales sworn in as President of Bolivia.
- 2014: Presence of water vapor detected on small planet Cerage.
- 2015: The explosion in Donetsk, Ukraine killed 13 people.