According to Gregory calendar, January 25, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. January 25 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on January 25. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 25th January:
- 1554: The city of São Paulo is established in Brazil.
- 1755: Moscow University established.
- 1791: The British Parliament passed the Constitutional Act 1791, dividing the old province of Quebec into upper and lower Canada.
- 1824: Famous Bengali poet Michael Madhusudan Dutt was born.
- 1871: Caucasian struggler Dharmaguru Shaikh Shamil died in Madina Nagar.
- 1880: Renowned social reformer Keshav Chandra Sen started the New Vidyavan or Indian Brahmo Samaj by embracing Christian and Vaishnavi devotion in Brahmo Samaj.
- 1881: Thomas Alva Edison and Alexander Graham Bell form the Oriental Telephone Company.
- 1881: Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell founded the Oriental Telephone Company.
- 1904: 179 people died in a coal mine explosion in Cheswick, Pennsylvania.
- 1924: The first Winter Olympic Games are held in Chamonix, France.
- 1930: Three people were killed by a bomb thrown on the road from a bus in Pune, India.
- 1939: An earthquake in Chillan, Chile killed 10,000 people.
- 1947: Famous gangster Al Capone dies.
- 1952: The first International Film Festival is held in Bombay.
- 1955: The United States and Panama sign the Canal Treaty.
- 1971: Himachal Pradesh became the 18th state of India.
- 1980: Famous social worker Mother Teresa was awarded the Bharat Ratna.
- 1983: Acharya Vinoba Bhave was posthumously awarded the Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian honor.
- 1999: An earthquake in the last 16 years in Colombia killed 300 people and injured a thousand people.
- 2015: Miss Colombia Polina Vega became Miss Universe 2014.