According to Gregory calendar, January 07, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. January 07 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on January 07. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 7th January:
- 1610: Galileo Galilei discovers the first three moons of Jupiter: Io, Europa & Ganymede
- 1714: Typewriter made by Henry Mill of England.
- 1761: Afghan ruler Ahmed Shah Abdali defeated the Marathas in the third battle of Panipat.
- 1782: First American Commercial Bank (Bank of North America) opened.
- 1789: The American public voted for George Washington to be elected the country’s first president.
- 1789: United States presidential elections, 1788–89 and House of Representatives elections were held.
- 1793: Ebel riots begin in Sweden.
- 1890: William B. Parvis received a patent for the invention of the fountain pen.
- 1927: The first trans-Atlantic commercial telephone service started from New York to London.
- 1929: Mother Teresa arrives in Calcutta (now Kolkata) to start work among the poor and diseased.
- 1937: Juliana, Princess of the Netherlands, married Prince Bernhard of Lippe Bysterford in The Hague.
- 1941: Chinese Kuomintang forces under orders from Chiang Kai-shek open fire on the surrounded Communist New Fourth Army at Maolin, Anhui Province, killing or capturing 7,000 troops
- 1943: Famous American Serbian inventor Nikola Tesla, the father of Wi-Fi, died.
- 1950: 41 patients died in a fire at Mercy Hospital in Davenport, Iowa City.
- 1953: US President Harry Truman announces the creation of a hydrogen bomb.
- 1954: Georgetown-IBM experiment, 1st public demonstration of a machine translation system, is held at IBM’s head office in New York
- 1967: Irfan Khan, who revived the characters of Hindi cinema, was born.
- 1972: A plane crash in Spain’s Ibiza region killed 108 passengers, including six crew.
- 1980: Three years after the Emergency, Indira Gandhi returned to power with an overwhelming majority.
- 1985: Cellnet launches 2 UK cellular networks.
- 1986: US President Ronald Reagan announced an economic embargo against Libya.
- 1987: Kapil Dev takes his 300th Test wicket, at 28 the youngest
- 1990: For the first time in the last 800 years, Pisa’s bowing tower was closed to the audience.
- 1999: President Bill Clinton’s impeachment trial begins in the US Senate after the House voted to impeach him for lying about his affair with Monica Lewinsky
- 2003: Japan announced $ 90 million in aid to India for development work.
- 2014: Sheikh Hasina wins general election in Bangladesh.
- 2015: Two gunmen attacked the office of ‘Charlie Abdo’ magazine in Paris, killing 12 people and injuring 11 others.