July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honor Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 01 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on July 01. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 01 July:
- 1708: Tewaflos becomes Emperor of Ethiopia.
- 1745: Warship Elizabeth is included in Bonnie Prince Charlie’s Frigate Doutal.
- 1747: Battle at Lafell: France defeated British / Dutch army.
- 1820: The first edition of Meuse’s Mail newspaper was published.
- 1831: Admiral James C. Ross reaches magnetic north pole
- 1839: Abdul-Medzad succeeded Mahmud II as Sultan of Turkey.
- 1847: The United States publishes its first postage stamps (pictured).
- 1852: First postage stamp named ‘Sindh Dak’ was released in Sindh.
- 1862: Calcutta High Court inaugurated.
- 1866: The first constitution of Romania is introduced.
- 1875: Universal Postal Union was established.
- 1879: Postcard introduced in India.
- 1881: The first international conversation over the phone was between “Calais” and “Main-Saint Stephens”.
- 1887: Construction of the iron structure of the Eiffel Tower started in Paris France.
- 1889: Frederick Douglass is named minister for Haiti.
- 1893: US President Grover Cleveland secretly operated on.
- 1896: International Socialist Workers and Trade Union Congress opened in London.
- 1907: Orange River Colony gained autonomy as Orange Free State.
- 1921: Coal strike ends in England.
- 1927: Connecting the first coast-to-coast radio network in Canada to celebrate Dominion’s 60th anniversary.
- 1948: U.S. A special investigation team of the Air Force was established.
- 1949: The Institute of Chartered Accountants was established in India.
- 1951: A formal peace agreement is reached between Canada and Germany.
- 1955: Imperial Bank of India was nationalized and named as State Bank of India.
- 1961: Theme park opened on Grand Island near New York.
- 1963: Zip code launched by the United States Postal Service.
- 1964: Establishment of Industrial Development Bank of India.
- 1968: 62 countries signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
- 1979: Sony Walkman launched for sale in Japan for the first time.
- 1991: Barsa Pact was dissolved.
- 1996: Voluntary death law implemented in the northern province of Australia for the first time in the world.
- 1996: Germany’s economic reform in 1996 agreed internationally.
- 1997: The first Science City of the country was established in Kolkata.
- 2006: First work of Qinghai-Tibet Railway started in People’s Republic of China.
- 2007: A ban on smoking in public places takes effect in England.
- 2013: Discovered Neptune’s Moon S / 2004 N1.
- 2013: Croatia becomes the 28th member of the European Union.
- 2014: Martin Schultz re-elected President of the European Parliament