July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honor Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 02 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on July 02. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 02 July:
- 1900 – The first zeppelin flight takes place over Lake Constance near Friedrichshafen, Germany.
- 1900 – Jean Sibelius’ Finlandia receives its premiere performance in Helsinki with the Helsinki Philharmonic Society organized by Robert Kajanus.
- 1921 – World War I: US President Warren G. Harding signs the Knox-Porter Resolution formally ending the war between the United States and Germany.
- 1934 – The Night of the Long Knife ends with the death of Ernst Röhm.
- 1940 – Indian independence leader Subhas Chandra Bose is arrested and detained in Calcutta.
- 1962 – The first Walmart store opens for business in Rogers, Arkansas.
- 1964 – Civil Rights Movement: US President Lyndon B. Johnson bans segregation in public places
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was signed.
- 1986 – Rodrigo Rojas and Carmen Gloria Quintana are burned alive during a street demonstration in Chile against the dictatorship of General Augusto Pinochet.
- 2002 – Steve Fossett becomes the first person to fly solo around the world in a balloon.
- 2010 – At least 230 people are killed in a South Kivu tank truck explosion in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- 2012 – Spain wins Euro 2012 football by defeating Italy 4–0 and becomes the first country to win three consecutive major titles.
- 2013 – The fourth and fifth moons of the International Astronomical Union named Pluto, Kerberos and Styx, were discovered.
- 2013 – A magnitude 6.1 earthquake strikes Aceh, Indonesia, killing at least 42 people and injuring 420 others.
- 2016 – At least 341 people are killed in a suicide attack in Baghdad.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1904: Rene Lacoste, a French tennis player, and businessman.
- 1923: Jawaharlalji Darda, a former Indian minister, and freedom fighter, Founder, editor of Lokmat newspaper.
- 1930: O. V. Vijayan, an Indian author, and cartoonist.
- 1954: Mohammad Aziz, an Indian playback singer.
- 1968: Gautami Tadimalla, an Indian film actress.
- 1990: Margot Robbie, an Australian actress, and producer.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1566: Nostradamus, a French astrologer, physician, and reputed seer.
- 1778: Jean-Jacques Rousseau, a Genevan philosopher, writer and composer.
- 1883: Samuel Hahnemann, a German physician.
- 1950: Yusuf Meher Ali, an Indian freedom fighter and socialist leader.
- 1999: Mario Puzo, an American author, screenwriter, and journalist.
- 2007: Dilip Sardesai, an Indian international cricketer.
- 2009: Tyeb Mehta, an Indian painter, sculptor and film maker.
- 2011: Chaturanan Mishra, an Indian politician and trade unionist.
- 2013: Douglas Engelbart, an American engineer, and inventor.