July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honor Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 04 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in India and World History on July 04. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 04 July:
- 1776: Representatives of 13 states of America signed the Declaration of Independence of this country in the city of Philadelphia. That is why this day is known as the independence of America.
- 1776: Declaration of American Independence.
- 1782: William Patty becomes Prime Minister of Great Britain after the death of Charles Watson-Wentworth.
- 1789: East India Company makes pact with Tipu Sultan with Peshwa and Nizam.
- 1817: Chief Engineer James Geddes begins construction on the Erie Canal, (Rome, New York), one of the first major engineering works in North America.
- 1819: William Herschel observed the last telescope of the 1819 comet.
- 1828: Lord William Bentinck Calcutta (now Kolkata) came to India in place of King George IV of the United Kingdom to begin his administration as the new Governor-General.
- 1829: First bus service started operating in London by George Shilbier.
- 1848: A French poet named François Shatobreyan died. Those who have done commendable service of French literature.
- 1855: Walt Whitman’s collection of poetry Leaves of Grass was published in Brooklyn.
- 1865: The famous English novel Alice in Wonderland is published.
- 1872: The Society of Jesus is outlawed in the German Empire.
- 1879: Anglo-Zulu War; This war effectively ended with the British victory in the Battle of Ulundi.
- 1882: Telegraph Hill Observatory opened in San Francisco.
- 1883: The world’s first rodeo perks were held in Texas.
- 1886: Canada’s first intercontinental train arrived at Port Moody, British Columbia.
- 1900: Nominates Williams Jennings Bryan as Democratic presidential presidential candidate in the USA.
- 1901: William Howard Taft became Governor-General of the Philippines.
- 1914: Burdun’s war ends.
- 1928: Eleftherios Venizelos elected as Prime Minister of Greece for the fifth time.
- 1946: Islands Philippine get independence from America.
- 1946: Ankara University established in Turkey.
- 1947: Indian independence bill was proposed before the British Parliament. Under which the country was divided into India and Pakistan.
- 1996: President of Russia Boris Yeltsin was re-elected President for four years.
- 1997: American vehicle ‘Sozner’ reaches Mars.
- 1998: A British powerboat ‘The Only and Wireless Adventure’ broke the record for the fastest world tour by completing the journey in 74 days 20 hours and 38 minutes.
- 2003: 44 killed in attack on Shia Mosque in Pakistan.
- 2005: A new species of dolphin snuffin is discovered in Australia.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1897: Alluri Sitarama Raju, the famous South Indian freedom fighter, was born.
- 1898: Gulzarilal Nanda, the former caretaker Prime Minister of India, was born.
- 1916: Naseem Bano, a famous actress in Hindi films, was born.
- 1943: Indian Vimlesh Kanti Varma was born, who made a distinguished contribution in the field of linguistics, lexicography, textualization, translation and cultural studies.
- 1945: Sushil Kumar (actor) of Hindi films was born.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1902: Swami Vivekananda, a great scholar of literature, philosophy and history, died.
- 1963: Pingali Venkayya, the designer of the ‘Tiranga’ national flag of India, died.
- 1982: Bharat Vyas, the famous lyricist of Bollywood, died.