July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honour Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 08 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and the coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on July 08. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 08 July:
- 1497: Vaskodigama left Europe to reach India by sea with a 170-member team.
- 1716: Great Northern War: The Battle of Dionnecklin trapped a Danish-Norwegian force under Peter Terdenkold and thus defeated the Swedish force.
- 1758: British and colonial attacks on French forces at Fort Ticonderoga, New York.
- 1777: Vermont introduces the new constitution, making it the first American state to abolish slavery.
- 1791: Composer Joseph Hayden was awarded an honorary doctorate of music at the University of Oxford.
- 1792: France declares war on Prussia.
- 1809: The Swedish Islands Fleet defeated the Russians in the naval battle of Porkala in the Finnish War.
- 1833: Russia and Turkey sign defense treaty.
- 1895: The Delagoa Bay Railway opened in South Africa.
- 1914: Jyoti Basu, the longest-serving Chief Minister and the basis of leftist politics, was born in West Bengal.
- 1930: King George V established India House in London.
- 1932: The American stock index Dow Jones reached a low of 41 points in the Great Depression.
- 1937: Turkey, Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan sign the treaty of Saudabad.
- 1948: Recruitment of women in US Air Force begins.
- 1954: Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru started hydroelectric project on Bhakra-Nangal in Punjab, the world’s largest canal.
- 1955: Burkha University is established in Chonburi Province, Thailand.
- 1992: Thomas Kleistil becomes President of Austria.
- 1994: Former North Korea head of state and Communist Party Secretary General Kim Eul Sung died.
- 1997: North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) invites Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic to join the organization.
- 2003: Sudan Airways plane crashes, killing all 116 passengers aboard.
- 2007: 9th Prime Minister of the country Chandrashekhar passed away.
- 2014: Miroslav Klose of the Germany football team set a world record of 16 goals at the World Cup.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1914: Jyoti Basu, an Indian Marxist politician (Chief Minister of West Bengal) was born.
- 1937: Giriraj Kishore, a famous Hindi novelist, strong storyteller, playwright and critic, was born.
- 1958: Neetu Singh, a Hindi film actress, (Kala Patthar) (Wall) was born.
- 1972: Sourav Ganguly, former captain of the Indian cricket team, was born.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 2007: Chandrashekhar Singh, the 11th Prime Minister of India, died.