July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honour Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 10 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and the coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in India and World History on July 10. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 10 July:
- 1652: England declares war against the Netherlands.
- 1739: King George II authorizes the Admiralty Board to seek maritime retaliation against Spain.
- 1800: Fort William College was established in Calcutta by the British Governor-General of India, Lord Wellesley, to promote Bengali, Hindi and other local languages of the Indian subcontinent.
- 1806: Vellore Rebellion was the first revolt by the Indian soldiers against the East India Company.
- 1818: The first edition of The Farmer’s Almanac was published in the United States.
- 1823: The Gall Act is passed by the Parliament of the United Kingdom on the basis of the prison reform campaign of Elizabeth Fry.
- 1851: Pacific University was established as California Wesleyan College in Santa Clara, California.
- 1890: Wyoming was established as the 44th American state.
- 1912: After the resignation of Thomas McKenzie, William Massey becomes the 19th Prime Minister of New Zealand.
- 1913: European country Romania declares war against Bulgaria.
- 1913: Romania declares war against Bulgaria.
- 1924: Denmark seizes Greenland.
- 1936: French Social Party was established.
- 1938: Howard Hughes set a record of flying 91 hours.
- 1943: the US, British and Canadian forces attack the island of Sicily during the Second World War.
- 1947: 200 people died after a train fell in a river in the Canton area of China.
- 1951: Renowned politician and former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Rajnath Singh was born.
- 1956: British House of Lords abolishes capital punishment.
- 1958: First parking meter installed in Britain.
- 1965: First women’s NCC college started in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
- 1973: The Bahamas gained complete independence within the Commonwealth of Nations.
- 1997: Indian community gets political rights with the approval of the new constitution in Fiji.
- 2008: Indian-origin British author Salman Rushdie was awarded the Best Booker Award.
- 2013: Landslides killed 40 people in Sichuan Province, China.
- 2015: 23 people died in a stampede while taking clothes being distributed for free in the Mamansingh district of Bangladesh.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1921: Famous lyricist and poet Asad Bhopali was born.
- 1934: Indian social worker Rajinikanth Arol was born.
- 1949: Sunil Gavaskar, the Indian cricketer, was born.
- 1950: Parveen Sultana, India’s famous classical singer, was born.
- 1951: Rajnath Singh, Home Minister of India was born.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1927: Sir Ganga Ram, a famous engineer, social worker and hero of the Green Revolution in India, died.
- 1971: Bhikhari Thakur, a capable folk artist of Bhojpuri, died.
- 2014: Famous actress and theatre artist Zohra Sehgal passed away.