July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honor Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 13 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on July 13. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 13 July:
- 1534: The Ottoman army captured Tabriz in northwestern Persia.
- 1645: Aleksei Romanov becomes the ruler of Russia, replacing his father Michael.
- 1700: Russian-Turkish War ensues after the establishment of the Treaty of Constantinople Peace.
- 1771: The historic journey of the famous British sailor James Cook to the southern hemisphere of the earth ended after three years.
- 1772: Captain James Cook begins his second voyage to the South Sea.
- 1787: Congress of the United States ratified the Northwest Ordinance governing the rules for the Northwest Territory.
- 1813: Italy’s National Military Police “Carbineri”, founded by Victor Emmanuel I as the police force of the Kingdom of Sardinia.
- 1814: Italy’s National Military Police Carbineri is established by Victor Emmanuel as the police force of the Kingdom of Sardinia.
- 1830: Scottish Church College was started by Raja Ram Mohan Roy and Alexander Duff with five students.
- 1832: Henry Schoolcroft discovers the source of the Mississippi River in Minnesota.
- 1871: The world’s first championship cat show at Crystal Palace London was organized by Harrison Ware.
- 1882: 200 people died as the train derailed in Russia.
- 1905: For the first time suggested by Bangla weekly Sanjeevani to burn Holi of British goods.
- 1918: Japanese warship explodes in the Gulf of Tokayam. In which 500 people died.
- 1923: ‘Hollywood’ was written to promote land prices near Mount Hills in the California city of Los Angeles. 1929
- 1925: Walt Disney marries Lillian Bounds in the city of Idaho.
- 1932: British and French government settle on friendship in Lausanne.
- 1954: The United States, Britain and France agree on the partition of Vietnam in Geneva.
- 1974: India played their first ODI against England at Headingley.
- 1977: Public honors like Bharat Ratna, Padma Vibhushan etc. were withdrawn during the Emergency.
- 1992: Yitzhak Rabin becomes the Prime Minister of Israel.
- 2000: US and Vietnam sign big trade contract.
- 2009: She Wolf Shakira made her eighth album debut.
- 2011: The country’s financial capital Mumbai was rocked by triple blasts. The blasts took place at Jhaveri Bazaar, Opera House and Dadar in Mumbai.
- 2016: Theresa May was elected Prime Minister by the United Kingdom’s Conservative Party MPs.