July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honour Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 15 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and the coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on July 15. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 15 July:
- 1795: La Marseilles is declared the national anthem of France.
- 1795: Marseilles became the national anthem of France.
- 1857: Indian Rebellion of 1857: The second massacre took place in Kanpur.
- 1864: In the US, a passenger train loaded with prisoners collided with a coal train, killing 65 out of 955 people on board and 109 injured.
- 1867: San Francisco Merchant Exchange opened.
- 1904: First Buddhist temple was built in Los Angeles, USA.
- 1910: Emile Cray Palin named Alzheimer’s disease after Alois Alzheimer’s.
- 1910: Carlos Eugenio Restrepo was elected President of Colombia.
- 1916: Boeing, the world’s largest aerospace company, started.
- 1918: Second Battle of Marne: The war began near the River Marne with a German attack.
- 1923: The Parliament of Italy adopted the new constitution.
- 1923: Italian Parliament accepts new constitution.
- 1926: First Motorbus service started in Bombay (now Mumbai).
- 1926: Buses were introduced for the first time in the Indian city of Mumbai.
- 1940: The 1940 Democratic National Conference was held in Chicago.
- 1948: US President Harry S. Touman is elected for a second term.
- 1955: First President Dr Rajendra Prasad announced the award of the highest civilian award Bharat Ratna to the then Prime Minister of the country, Jawaharlal Nehru.
- 1959: A strike occurs against the steel industry of the United States.
- 1961: Spain accepted equal rights for men and women.
- 1968: Commercial airline begins between the US and the immediate Soviet Union.
- 1970: Denmark defeated Italy 2–0 to win the first women’s World Cup football.
- 1971: US President Richard Nixon announces his visit to China.
- 1997: Italian fashion designer Gianni Versace is shot and killed.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1611: Raja of Amer and senior commander of the Mughal Empire (Mirza Raja) Jai Singh was born.
- 1840: English officer William Wilson Hunter, a sophisticated educationist, author and statistician, was born.
- 1883: Jamshed ji Jijabhai, a famous Indian who was very wealthy by business and charity, was born.
- 1885: Pattam Thanu Pillai, a prominent leader of the modern Kerala state, was born.
- 1903: Bharat Ratna awarded freedom fighter, politician and Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu K. Kamaraj was born.
- 1909: Durgabai Deshmukh, the first woman leader of Andhra Pradesh was born.
- 1922: Leon M. Lederman, American physicist and Nobel laureate was born.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1967: Bal Gandharva, the great hero of Marathi theatre and a famous singer, died.
- 2004: Indian medical scientist and family planning expert Bano Jehangir Koyaji passed away.
- 2017: Mariam Mirzakhani, the first female mathematician to receive the prestigious ‘Fields Medal’, the world’s prestigious honour, died.