July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honour Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 17 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and the coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in India and World History on July 17. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 17 July:
- 1429: Dauphin was crowned King of France.
- 1712: England, Portugal and France sign ceasefire.
- 1727: Simon van Slingland is appointed Dutch pension consultant.
- 1740: Prospero Lambertini was elected the fourteenth pope.
- 1762: Catherine II becomes Empress of Russia after the assassination of Peter II.
- 1775: First military hospital approval granted.
- 1850: Harvard Observatory takes its first photograph of the star.
- 1861: US Congress authorizes money inscribed on paper.
- 1862: US Army granted permission to accept blacks as workers.
- 1906: Clement Armand Falières was elected President of France.
- 1912: International Amateur Athletics Federation (IAF) is established in Sweden.
- 1916: The birthplace of Abraham Lincoln was established as the National Historical Park in the city of Kentucky in Lroy County.
- 1919: The Constitution was adopted in Finland.
- 1929: Soviet Union ends diplomatic relations with China.
- 1944: 322 people died in an explosion in two ammunition-laden ships in the US near California.
- 1947: Indian passenger ship SS Ramdas was destroyed by a Mumbai storm, killing 625 people.
- 1948: Women in the country are declared eligible in any type of civil service including the Indian Administrative Service and the Indian Police Service.
- 1950: India’s first plane crashes in Pathankot.
- 1950: Communism Act was implemented in South Africa.
- 1974: 41 people were injured in a bomb blast in London Tower.
- 1994: The first piece of the comet Shumaker Levi-9 collided with Jupiter.
- 1995: The Nasdaq Composite Index closed above the 1,000 mark for the first time.
- 2006: The Discovery spacecraft landed safely on Earth after completing its 13-day space journey at the Space Center in Cap Canaveral (Florida).
- 2014: 283 passengers and 15 crew members were killed in the crash of Malaysia Airlines plane-17.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1943: Nirmaljit Singh Sekhon, an Indian military flying officer who was awarded the Param Vir Chakra, was born.
- 1923: Begum Abida Ahmed, the wife of Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed, the fifth President of India, was born.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1992: Kanan Devi, India’s famous actress, singer and film producer, died.
- 2005: The fourteenth governor of the Reserve Bank of India, I.G. Patel passed away.
- 2013: Renowned historian Barun Dey died.
- 2018: Rita Bhaduri, a well-known actress in Hindi cinema, died.