July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honor Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 17 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on July 17. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 17 July:
- 1429: Dauphin was crowned as King of France.
- 1712: England, Portugal and France sign ceasefire.
- 1727: Simon van Slingland is appointed Dutch pension consultant.
- 1740: Prospero Lambertini was elected the fourteenth pope.
- 1762: Catherine II becomes Empress of Russia after the assassination of Peter II.
- 1775: First military hospital approval granted.
- 1850: Harvard Observatory takes its first photograph of the star.
- 1861: US Congress authorizes money inscribed on paper.
- 1862: US Army granted permission to accept blacks as workers.
- 1906: Clement Armand Falières was elected President of France.
- 1912: International Amateur Athletics Federation (IAF) is established in Sweden.
- 1916: The birthplace of Abraham Lincoln was established as the National Historical Park in the city of Kentucky in Lroy County.
- 1919: The Constitution was adopted in Finland.
- 1929: Soviet Union ends diplomatic relations with China.
- 1944: 322 people died in an explosion in two ammunition-laden ships in the US near California.
- 1947: Indian passenger ship SS Ramdas was destroyed by a Mumbai storm, killing 625 people.
- 1948: Women in the country are declared eligible in any type of civil services including the Indian Administrative Service and the Indian Police Service.
- 1950: India’s first plane crashes in Pathankot.
- 1950: Communism Act implemented in South Africa.
- 1974: 41 people injured in bomb blast in London Tower.
- 1994: The first piece of the comet Shumaker Levi-9 collided with Jupiter.
- 1995: The Nasdaq Composite Index closed above the 1,000 mark for the first time.
- 2006: The Discovery spacecraft landed safely on Earth after completing its 13-day space journey at the Space Center in Cap Canaveral (Florida).
- 2014: 283 passengers and 15 crew members were killed in the crash of Malaysia Airlines plane-17.