July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honor Julius Caesar.
What Happened on This Day of History?
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 18 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on July 18. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 18 July:
- 1630: Spain’s troops occupy Italy’s Mantua province.
- 1743: A half-page advertisement was published for the first time in the world in the weekly newspaper New York.
- 1743: First half-page newspaper advertisement is published (NY Weekly Magazine)
- 1781: Famous British astronomer William Herschel discovers the reality of the Akash Ganga.
- 1801: Napoleon signs a concourse with Pope Pius VII.
- 1825: Uruguay breaks away from Brazil.
- 1857: Bombay University was established.
- 1872: Secret Voting Act was introduced in the UK elections. Earlier voting was done openly.
- 1931: The first air-conditioned water vessel ‘Mariposa’ is commissioned.
- 1944: British troops capture the Baerkebus mountain range of Normandy.
- 1947: Indian Parliament compelled and passed the law of independence of this country.
- 1951: Uruguay adopted the constitution.
- 1955: For the first time, electricity produced from nuclear power is sold commercially.
- 1968: Semiconductor company Intel is founded.
- 1977: Vietnam became a member of the United Nations.
- 1980: The fully Indian-made satellite ‘Rohini-1’ is placed in the Earth’s orbit.
- 1984: Beverly Burns became the world’s first female Boeing 747 captain.
- 2000: Alex Salmont resigns as leader of the Scottish National Party.
- 2012: India’s first superstar Rajesh Khanna passed away.