July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honour Julius Caesar.
What Happened on This Day of History?
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 19 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and the coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in India and World History on July 19. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 19 July:
- 1702: Sweden’s army, led by King Charles, occupies the city of Kraków in the Czech Republic.
- 1702: King Charles XII captures Swedish troops.
- 1763: Mir Qasim, the Nawab of Bengal, was badly defeated by the British army in the Battle of Katwa.
- 1860: The first railway reached Kansas.
- 1870: France declares war against Prussia.
- 1870: Franco-Prussian War: France declares war against Prussia.
- 1900: The first metro rail was run in France, the capital of France. The world’s first metro service started in London.
- 1926: A second government is formed in France under the leadership of Edward Herriot.
- 1941: Tuskegee Army Air Field formally opened.
- 1961: The film was shown on the plane for the first time.
- 1963: Joy Walker became the first person to go into space by plane.
- 1967: US launches ‘Explorer-35’ to enter lunar orbit.
- 1969: The government of India decided to nationalize 14 major banks of the country.
- 1979: The revolution of the people of Nicaragua country was successful.
- 1980: Former Turkish Prime Minister Niht Erim was killed by two gunmen in Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2003: Russian astronaut Yuri Male Thanko became the first person to marry in space.
- 2008: The US tests a missile capable of hitting long distances by setting targets in the Pacific Ocean.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1827: Mangal Pandey, the first revolutionary of the Indian freedom struggle of 1857, was born.
- 1894: Khwaja Nazimuddin, one of the Muslim leaders of Bengal, was born.
- 1909: Nalapat Balamani Amma, a famous poetess of the Malayalam language, was born.
- 1925: Dinesh Singh, a member of the Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Eighth and Ninth Lok Sabha, was born.
- 1948: Altamas Kabir, the former 39th Chief Justice of India, was born.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 2018: Gopaldas Neeraj, poet and writer of films on the forums of Hindi litterateur, teacher and poet conferences, died.