July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honour Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 24 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and the coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on July 24. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 24 July:
- 1701: A Frenchman named Fort Pontchartrain establishes the Emporium.
- 1715: 1715 Treasure Fleet: A Spanish treasure on 10 ships under General Don Juan Ubila went from Spain to Havana, Cuba, seven days later, nine of them sank in a storm off the coast of Florida and some treasure was later found.
- 1758: The then US President George Washington joins the First Assembly of North America in the Virginia House of Burgesses.
- 1783: Georgia is made patron of Russia.
- 1797: Horatio Nelson is wounded in the Battle of Santa Cruz, in which he loses one of his hands.
- 1823: Slave practice in Chile was abolished forever.
- 1830: Slavery was abolished in Chile.
- 1834: Liberal war ends in Portugal.
- 1870: First inland rail service started in America.
- 1915: A steamer Eastland in Central Chicago killed 844 people.
- 1929: Aristad Briand was succeeded by French Prime Minister Raymond Poincaré after resigning.
- 1932: Ramakrishna Mission Service Foundation was established.
- 1941: Nazis assassinate the entire Jewish population in the northern European country of Lithuania.
- 1944: 300 fighter jets bomb Germany.
- 1969: Apollo 11 spacecraft returns to Earth.
- 1982: 299 people died in Nagasaki, Japan due to the collapse of the bridge due to heavy rains.
- 1994: Bodo militants killed 37 Muslims in Assam’s busbari.
- 1999: American spacecraft Columbia launched successfully.
- 2000: S. Vijayalakshmi became the first female grandmaster of chess.
- 2008: Around 100 people were affected by a leak at France’s Trickestin nuclear plant.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1853: Shankar Bal Krishna Dixit, a Marathi scholar of astrology, was born.
- 1911: Pannalal Ghosh, India’s famous flute player, was born.
- 1924: Nazish Pratapgarhi, the famous Urdu poet and poet, was born.
- 1935: Rampal Upadhyay, a member of the 12th Lok Sabha, was born.
- 1937: Manoj Kumar, the famous Indian actor, was born.
- 1945: Azim Premji was born, president of Bangalore-based Wipro Corporation, which develops computer software programs and produces consumer goods.
- 1969: Jeffrey Linlofage, an American singer, director, and dancer was born.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1939: Tarun Ram Phukan, a social activist from Assam, died.
- 1980: Hindi film actor Uttam Kumar died.
- 2017: Yashpal (scientist), India’s famous scientist and educationist passed away.