July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honour Julius Caesar.
What Happened on This Day of History?
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 25 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and the coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world history on July 25. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 25 July:
- 1689: France declares war against England.
- 1722: Father’s Rally War (1722-25) begins along the Maine and Massachusetts border.
- 1759: During the 7 Years War, the British captured Fort Niagara from the French.
- 1813: The first boat race competition in India was held in Calcutta (now Kolkata).
- 1837: The use of the electric telegraph was successfully demonstrated for the first time.
- 1854: Walter Hunt receives a US patent for the first paper shirt collar.
- 1909: Workers started revolt in Barcelona city.
- 1938: 62 civilians were killed and about 100 others were injured in two bomb blasts in a market in Palestine.
- 1957: The University of Waterloo in Canada is established in the city of Ontario.
- 1977: Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy became the sixth President of India.
- 1982: Zail Singh became the 7th President of India.
- 1987: Rangaswamy Venkataraman becomes the eighth president.
- 1992: S.R. D. Sharma became the 9th President of India.
- 1993: Soldiers of the Zionist regime again attack southern Lebanon by land and air.
- 1994: The 46-year-old war between Jordan and Israel ended.
- 1997: K.K. R. Narayanan became the 10th President of India.
- 2000: Air France Concorde plane crashes two minutes after takeoff. In which 113 people died.
- 2007: Pratibha Patil becomes the first woman President of India.
- 2007: India’s first female President Pratibha Devi Singh Patil was sworn in.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1894: Parashuram Chaturvedi, a scholarly researcher and critic, was born.
- 1966: Harsimrat Kaur Badal, India’s famous politician, currently the Minister of Food Processing Industries under the Government of India, was born.
- 1929: Somnath Chatterjee, a famous politician and one of the prominent leaders of the ‘Communist Party of India’, was born.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1880: Ganesh Vasudev Joshi, a public activist, died.
- 1956: Godavarish Mishra, the famous social reformer, litterateur and public activist of Orissa, died.
- 2012: Famous film director B. R. Ishara passed away.