July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honor Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 26 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on July 26. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 26 July:
- 1757: Battle over Hustenbeck: French army defeated by King of Cumberland.
- 1760: Austrian troops capture Fort Glatz Silesia.
- 1788: New York becomes the 11th state of America.
- 1788: New York ratifies the Constitution of the United States and becomes the eleventh American state.
- 1803: Due to the first public railway line in England, the Wagonway opened between Wandsworth and Croydon.
- 1805: An earthquake in Mollis and Campania, Italy killed about 5,573 people.
- 1826: Lithuania violence kills many Jews
- 1835: First sugarcane plantation started in Hawaii.
- 1858: Baron Lionel de Rothschild was the first Jewish man elected to the British Parliament.
- 1933: The International Silver Agreement of the World Economic Conference was signed in London.
- 1951: Netherlands ends war with Germany.
- 1953: Successful revolution begins in Cuba under the leadership of Communist revolutionary Fidel Castro.
- 1953: Short Creek is raided on a majority of Mormon sects in Arizona.
- 1956: Egypt nationalizes the Suez Canal.
- 1965: Maldives became independent from Britain.
- 1998: AT&T and British telecommunications company PLC announce to form a joint venture.
- 2002: First Chhattisgarh State Shooting Championship started.
- 2005: Launches NASA spacecraft Discovery.
- 2007: Pakistan successfully test-fires the nuclear-powered cruise missile Babur HTF-7.
- 2008: European scientists discover another new planet outside the solar system.
- 2009: India becomes the sixth country to launch nuclear submarine.
- 2012: About 200 people died in a single day of violence in Syria.
- 2013: Bomb blast at Parachinar, Pakistan, killing 57.