July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honor Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 28 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on July 28. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 28 July:
- 1717: King Frederick Wilhelm I of Porsche made education compulsory for children aged 5–12 years.
- 1741: Captain Bering discovers Mount Saint Elias, Alaska.
- 1742: Persia and Austria sign peace treaty.
- 1751: The Kingdom of Kartali defeated a large army of Tabriz Khanas under Erkele II at the Battle of Kiribullah.
- 1821: Peru declares its independence from Spain.
- 1821: Peru declares independence from Spain.
- 1858: First use of thumb impression as an identification by Sir William James Herschel of the Indian Administrative Service.
- 1866: Legal recognition of use of metric system for metering in America.
- 1878: At the conclusion of the Berlin Conference, the Berlin Agreement is signed between Russia, France, Britain and Austria.
- 1914: Austria-Hungary declares war against Serbia. It was here that the First World War began.
- 1957: 992 people died due to heavy rains in Ishaya, Japan.
- 1959: Postal code began to be used in Great Britain.
- 1964: Ranger 7 launched toward the moon, sending 4308 photos.
- 1977: First oil reaches Valdez, Alaska via the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System.
- 1978: Soviet Union conducts nuclear test in northeast Kazakhstan.
- 1979: Chaudhary Charan Singh became the 5th Prime Minister of India.
- 1983: NASA launched commercial communication satellite Telsatar-3A.
- 1990: Alberto Fujimori becomes President of Peru.
- 2005: Claimed to discover the tenth planet of the solar system.