July is the seventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, July was the fifth month of the year. July was previously called Quintilis in Latin as it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar. It became the seventh month when January and February were added to the calendar.
July was originally Quintilis, the fifth month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 31 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 45 BCE to honor Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. July 29 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, July also has 31 days. It is the warmest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and coldest month in the Southern hemisphere.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on July 29. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 29 July:
- 1655: The world’s largest town hall opens in Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands.
- 1786: First newspaper published in Pitts Gadget, Alleghany, West.
- 1858: US and Japan sign Harris Confederate.
- 1876: Science organization was established in India.
- 1899: First motorcycle race held in New York.
- 1941: During World War II, Germany, the German component, landed its troops on the southern coast of the region to take over China and India.
- 1949: Broadcasting begins on British Broadcasting Corporation Radio.
- 1957: The United Nations formed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- 1958: US Congress passes a bill to establish its space agency National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
- 1981: Britain’s Prince Charles and Princess Diana are married. At that time around 70 crore people saw this royal wedding on TV.
- 1983: The first driverless aircraft ‘Mini’ successfully flew.
- 1996: Aruna Asaf Ali, who contributed to the Indian freedom struggle, passed away.
- 2013: 10.3 million euros of diamonds were stolen from a hotel in Cannes, France.