June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 01 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 01. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 01 June:
- 1670: King Charles II of England, King Charles II of France and King Louis Fourteenth of France signed the Confidential Treaty of Anti-Dutch.
- 1792: Kentucky becomes the 15th state in the United States.
- 1802: The United States Patent and Trademark Office is established within the State Department.
- 1845: Homeling pigeon completes 11,000 km journey (Namibia-London) in 55 days.
- 1847: The First Congress Party of the Communist League was organized in London.
- 1874: The East India Company was dissolved.
- 1880: First pay-phone service launched.
- 1927: Peace relations between US and Canada restored.
- 1929: The first conference of communist parties was held in the city of Buenos Aires, USA.
- 1930: India’s first deluxe train ran between Deccan Queen Bombay VT to Pune.
- 1948: Arab countries and Israel agree to ceasefire.
- 1961: The northern part of the British Cameroon Trust Territory was incorporated into the Federation of Nigeria according to a referendum.
- 1965: 236 people killed in a coal mine explosion in Fukuoka region of Japan.
- 1965: A coal mine explosion in Fukuoka, Japan killed 237 people.
- 1966: The Convention on Civil Rights was held in the White House.
- 1969: Tobacco products and related advertisements are completely banned on radio and TV in Canada.
- 1978: 1978 FIFA World Cup begins in Argentina.
- 1979: Vizianagaram district was created in Andhra Pradesh.
- 1980: The cable news network (CNN) television network began airing for the first time.
- 1980: Cable News Network (CNN), the first 24-hour news channel was launched.
- 1996: Hardanahalli Dode Gowda Dev Gowda (HD Deve Gowda) became the 11th Prime Minister of India.
- 1997: Hugo Banzer wins presidential election in Bolivia.
- 2007: Smoking banned in public places in the United Kingdom.
- 2009: 228 passengers, including crew members, were killed in the crash of an Air France plane-447 going from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to Paris.
- 2014: 40 people lost their lives in a soccer field blast in Nigeria.