June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 02 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 02. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 02 June:
- 1702: Queen Anne’s Captain General John Churchill forces the surrender of Caesarsworth on the Rhine.
- 1739: Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences is established in Stockholm, Sweden.
- 1763: Pontiac Rebellion:Chippewas, now Mackinaw City, Michigan, captured Fort Missilimackinac, chasing a ball into the fort after defending the garrison with a game of Larrosse.
- 1771: Armida presents an operaque ‘Drama Per Music’ by Antonio Salieri at Vietana Bergtheater.
- 1780: Anti-Catholic protesters attack Parliament in London.
- 1793: Girandin dies in France.
- 1800: First smallpox vaccination was carried out in Trinity, Newfoundland in North America.
- 1851: For the first time in America, the Prohibition of Alcohol Act was enacted in Maine province.
- 1868: The first Trades Union Congress was held in Manchester, England.
- 1869: Sherwood College was established in Nainital India.
- 1883: The first baseball game played in electric light at Ford Wayan Indiana.
- 1896: G.Marconi applied to the radio for a patent in his name, which was later accepted on July 2, 1897.
- 1901: Katsura Taro becomes Prime Minister of Japan.
- 1902: Anthracite coal strike begins in US.
- 1909: Alfred Deakin is elected Prime Minister of Australia for the third consecutive time.
- 1947: Lord Louis Mountbatten declares partition of India.
- 1953: Queen Elizabeth II is crowned on the British throne.
- 1953: Austria and Soviet Union establish diplomatic relations.
- 1966: America launches spacecraft on the moon in its first attempt.
- 1976: The Philippine government establishes diplomatic relations with the Soviet Union.
- 1983: 23 people were killed in an Air Canada DC-9 aircraft fire in Cincinnati, USA.
- 1988: Death of famous Bollywood actor, producer and director Raj Kapoor.
- 1994: 29 people killed by a Chinook helicopter crash in northern Scotland.
- 1998: CIH computer virus discovered in Taiwan.
- 1999: Bhutan Broadcasting Service brings television transmission in the country for the first time.
- 2014: Telangana officially became the 29th state of India.