June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 03 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 03. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 03 June:
- 1781: Jack Jot warns Thomas Jefferson of a British attack.
- 1789: Alex McKenzie discovers Mackenzie River (Canada).
- 1818: The Maratha War between the British and Maratha Confederations in India ended.
- 1828: President Simón Bolívar declares war on Peru in the Gran Colombia-Peru War.
- 1856: Cullen Whipple patented the screw machine.
- 1886: 24 Christians are burnt alive in Namgongo, Uganda.
- 1915: British Government awarded Nobel Prize-awarded poet Rabindranath Tagore with ‘Knighthood’.
- 1918: Hindi Literature Conference was held in Indore under the Chairmanship of Gandhiji. At that time Hindi was considered as the official language.
- 1947: Lord Mountbatten, the last Viceroy of India under the British Raj, announced the partition of India. Which Indian leaders accepted.
- 1962: Air France Baying-707 crashes after taking off from Paris, killing 130 people.
- 1968: Canada announces conversion of nickel coins to silver.
- 1972: The first India-made modern-era warship INS Nilgiri was launched into the Indian Navy.
- 1984: Operation Blue Star started in the famous Gurudwara Harmandir Sahib Gurudwara i.e.Golden Temple of Amritsar in Punjab. By the order of the Government of India, the purpose of this military campaign was to eliminate Janrail Singh Bhindranwala.
- 1987: Vanuatu Labor Party was established.
- 1989: The world’s first HDTV broadcast started in the analog city of Japan.
- 2013: 119 people died in a fire at a chicken farm in Jilin province of northeastern China.