What Happened Today 5 June In Indian History?
June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 05 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 05. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 05 June:
- 1507: England and Netherlands agree on trade agreement.
- 1659: Mughal ruler Aurangzeb officially ascended the throne of Delhi.
- 1664: Mustafa II becomes Sultan of Turkey.
- 1716: England and Emperor Karel Sahay sign military treaty.
- 1806: Louis Bonaparte appointed as the King of Holland by his brother, Emperor Napoleon, replacing the Batavian Republic.
- 1823: Raffles Institution is established as the Singapore Institution by the founder of Singapore, Sir Stamford Raffles.
- 1827: The Turks captured the Acropolis and Athens during the Greek War of Independence.
- 1837: Incorporated by the City of Houston, Republic of Texas.
- 1846: Beginning of the telegraph line between Philadelphia and Baltimore in America.
- 1882: Nearly one lakh people died due to storms and floods in Bombay (now Mumbai).
- 1888: US Democrat Democrat Grover is nominated for Cleveland.
- 1915: Denmark amends its constitution and gives women the right to vote.
- 1928: House and Senate elections were held in the Philippines, with the Nacionalist Party winning.
- 1942: America declares war against Bulgaria, Hungary and Romania.
- 1967: Israel invades Egypt and destroys around 400 combat aircraft.
- 1969: An international communist conference begins in Moscow.
- 1972: World Environment Day begins at the World Environment Conference organized by the United Nations General Assembly.
- 1988: First National Cancer Survivors Day was organized.
- 1990: The last President of the Soviet Union, Mikhail Gorbachov, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- 2000: The first shortest film “405 The Movie” is released on the Internet.
- 2013: Nawaz Sharif becomes Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- 2013: 44 people were killed by a lightning storm in the state of Bihar, India.