June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 06 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 06. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 06 June:
- 1520: France and England sign the Treaty of Scotland.
- 1674: Shivaji’s coronation in the fort of Raigad and also he assumed the title of Chhatrapati.
- 1744: France and Persia sign peace treaty.
- 1761: Transit of Venus is seen from 120 places of the Earth. Mikhail Lomonosov came to know the atmosphere of Venus.
- 1808: Napoleon’s brother Joseph was made king of Spain.
- 1813: Gregory Blaxland, William Lawson, and William Wentworth return home after crossing the Blue Mountains.
- 1844: Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) is established in London.
- 1882: Henry W.Seeley of New York patented electric iron.
- 1916: Women are given the right to vote in East Cleveland, USA.
- 1919: Finland declares war against the Bolsheviks.
- 1919: The Hungarian Red Army invades the Republic of Precummurje.
- 1926: Government formed under the leadership of Adley Pasha in Egypt.
- 1929: Sunil Dutt, the noted actor, producer and director of Indian films, was born in Jhelum (present-day Pakistan) district of West Punjab.
- 1975: Formation of Temporary Revolutionary Government in South Vietnam.
- 1981: A train fell in Bihar’s Baghmati river, killing 800 of the 1000 people on board.
- 1994: West Indies batsman Brian Lara scored a first-class 501-run innings against Warwickshire at Edgbaston.
- 1997: India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Thailand formed an economic cooperation group called Bistek in Bangkok.
- 2004: Former US President Roland Reagan dies.
- 2010: 109 Men’s French Open: Rafael Nadal defeated Robin Soderling (6-4, 6-2, 6-4).