June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 08 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 08. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 08 June:
- 1557: England declares war against France.
- 1736: Leonard Euler wrote to James Stirling to describe the Euler – McLaurin formula, which provides the relationship between unified and sums.
- 1783: Lucky volcano in southern Iceland begins 8 months eruption.
- 1824: Noh Cushing painted a washing machine.
- 1835: The city of Australia Melbourne was founded by John Batman and John Pascoko Fokner.
- 1909: An earthquake and tsunami destroyed the city of Korinchi, located on the island of Sumatra in Indonesia, killing 230 people.
- 1935: Sam Parks, Jr.Won Open Golf Tournament.
- 1936: Indian state radio network Indian State Broadcastings Service was renamed All India Radio.
- 1937: The world’s largest flower bloom in a botanical garden in New York City in the United States.
- 1937: German Postal Ministry orders that all non-Aryans should retire.
- 1940: The discovery of the 93rd element Neptunium is announced.
- 1948: India’s first airline, Air India, started air service between India and Britain.
- 1949: Syam was renamed as Thailand.
- 1950: Sir Thomas Blamey becomes a field marshal in Australian history.
- 1963: The American Heart Association Agency (AHA) becomes the first agency to campaign against cigarettes.
- 1982: 135 people died after the Brazilian plane B-727 crashed.
- 1986: Former United Nations Secretary-General Kurt Waldheim was elected President of Austria.
- 1992: World Oceans Day was celebrated for the first time in Brazil.
- 1996: 10th European Football Championship (UEFA Euro 96) begins in England
- 2003: Poland approves joining the European Union in a referendum.
- 2014: Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova won the French Open title by defeating Simena Halep.