June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 09 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 09. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 09 June:
- 1720: Third Stockholm Treaty is signed between Sweden and Denmark.
- 1720: Sweden and Denmark sign the Third Treaty of Stockholm.
- 1732: James Oglethorp is granted a royal charter for the colony of Georgia.
- 1752: French army surrendered to the British at Trichipoli.
- 1772: The first naval attack of the Revolutionary War takes place in Providence, Rhode Island.
- 1790: Royal assent to establish the port of Milford Haven in Wales.
- 1807: Duke of Portland wins United Kingdom general election.
- 1815: Luxembourg is liberated from the French occupation.
- 1833: Dubai gained independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1851: SF Committee of Vigilance Forms (for the first time) was established.
- 1873: Alexandra Palace in London was destroyed by fire only a fortnight after its opening.
- 1910: Japan and Russia enter into an agreement on the division of the former region.
- 1923: Brinks reveals the first armored security van.
- 1930: Chicago Board of Trade Building opened.
- 1931: The Donald Duck cartoon is shown for the first time.
- 1940: Norway surrenders to Germany during World War II.
- 1941: 1500 people were killed in an explosion in an arms factory located in the Fort Smederovo region of Belgrade, the capital of the European country Serbia.
- 1942: British aircraft attack Italian naval base in Taranto.
- 1949: Dr.Kiran Bedi, the first woman officer to join the Indian Police Service, was born.
- 1955: England cricket team defeated South Africa team in Nottingham.
- 1959: First submarine dispatched to launch USS George Washington ballistic missiles.
- 1960: 1600 people died due to cyclonic storm Mary in China.
- 1964: Lal Bahadur Shastri became the second Prime Minister of India.
- 1975: Order of Australia was awarded for the first time.
- 1983: The Conservative Party won a second consecutive majority in the UK general elections under the leadership of Margaret Thatcher.
- 2008: Union Territory Administration declared Chandigarh as tobacco free.
- 2011: The world’s first prosthesis implanted in the shortest time.In this, the windpipe was replaced.