June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar,June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 10 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 10. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 10 June:
- 1246: Naseeruddin Muhammad Shah I became the ruler of Delhi.
- 1719: Battle of Glen Sheel: British forces defeated Yakub and his Spanish allies.
- 1760: The first effective law for medical practice is enacted in New York.
- 1786: An earthquake in China’s Sijuan province breaks the dam on the Dadu River, killing one million people.
- 1811: A volcanic eruption forms in Sabrina Island (Azores).
- 1829: The first boat race competition took place at Oxford and Cambridge University.
- 1924: Rome’s Italian socialist leader Giacomo Mattotti kidnapped and murdered.
- 1925: The United Church of Canada is inaugurated in the city of Mutual Street Arena in Toronto.
- 1931: Norway captured East Greenland.
- 1933: The Barter Theater is inaugurated in Abingdon City, Virginia.
- 1940: Italy declares war against France and Britain during World War II.
- 1944: During World War II, the German army killed 218 Greeks.
- 1946: Italy became a republican nation after the end of the monarchy.
- 1946: Italy was declared a republic.
- 1947: Saab company builds its first automobile in Sweden.
- 1967: Soviet Union ends diplomatic relations with Israel.
- 1971: US abolishes China’s 21-year trade ban.
- 1971: The United States concludes its trade agreement with China.
- 1977: Sales of the first Apple II series computer begin.
- 2001: Barlusconi appointed Prime Minister of Italy.
- 2002: Pakistan renamed the world’s second highest peak K-2 to ‘Chogori’ or ‘Shahgori’.
- 2003: NASA’s Mangalyaan rover launched.
- 2008: The 54th National Film Awards were announced, ‘Lage Raho Munnabhai’ was voted the best popular film.