June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 12 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 12. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 12 June:
- 1665: New Amsterdam legally became part of Britain and was renamed New York after the Duke of York.
- 1691: Innocent (twelfth) becomes Pope in place of Pope Alexander (eighth).
- 1787:American law passed, making it mandatory for the senator to be at least 30 years old.
- 1817: German inventor Karl Drasse drives his dandy horse (“Dreissin” or Loughmaskine), the earliest form of the bicycle, in Mannheim.
- 1830: France started the process of colonization of Algeria.
- 1852: Taiping Rebellion: Taiping forces enter Hunan.
- 1889: 88 people killed in Armagh rail disaster in Ireland.
- 1914: Greek massacre: Ottoman Greeks killed in Turkey by Turkish irregular soldiers.
- 1926: Brazil decides to come out of the League of Nations.
- 1939: Byron Nelson Won Open
- 1952: The then Soviet Union declared the peace treaty with Japan illegal.
- 1964: Nelson Mandela sentenced to life imprisonment for agitating against apartheid in South Africa.
- 1968: US The film Baby of Rosemary was published.
- 1975: Allahabad High Court convicts then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in electoral corruption.
- 1991: Boris Yeltsin became the President of the then Russian Republic.
- 1994: Boeing 777, the world’s largest twinjet aircraft, made its first flight.
- 2002: World Child Labor Prohibition Day begins.
- 2008: South Asian Football Federation hosts the sixth SAIF Football Championship for the year 2009.