June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 13 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 13. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 13 June:
- 1420: Jalaluddin Ferozeshah ascended the throne of Delhi.
- 1704: Battle of Koronko: Austrian and Denmark, Prussia, Croatia, Germany defeated their allies and Vojvodina Kurux.
- 1707: Ference Rakoczy II declares Hungary as independent.
- 1721: England signs the charter with Madriand.
- 1727: Spain signs economic treaty with Paris.
- 1753: Austria, Great Britain and Modena sign secret military treaties.
- 1886: A fire broke out in the city of Vancouver, Canada, burning about 1,000 buildings.
- 1888: US Congress formed the Department of Labor.
- 1920: Per the United States Department of Posts rules, children’s parcels will not be sent via post.
- 1932: The peace agreement was signed between Britain and France.
- 1943: Freedom fighter Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose embarked on a journey from Germany to Tokyo by submarine.
- 1956: After taking control of Britain for 72 years, Britain handed over control of the Suez Canal to Egypt.
- 1956: International Criminal Police Organization (ICPO) was formed.
- 1963: New York Commodity Exchange begins trading in silver futures contracts.
- 1982: The 1982 FIFA World Cup was started in Spain.
- 1991: US A viewer died of lightning in the open.
- 1993: Kim Campbell became the first female Prime Minister of Canada.
- 1997: 59 people who came to watch the film were killed in Delhi’s Upaz cinema.
- 2005: Pop singer Michael Jackson was acquitted in a sexual assault case of a 13-year-old child.
- 2006: Death of famous Ghazal singer Mehdi Hasan.