June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 16 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 16. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 16 June:
- 1606: Death of fifth Sikh Guru Arjun Dev.
- 1746: Battle at Piacenza: Austria and Sardinia defeated Spanish and French forces.
- 1815: Napoleon defeated Prussia at the Battle of Ligni in the Netherlands.
- 1822: Denmark Vesey led a slave rebellion in South Carolina.
- 1824: The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was established in Great Britain.
- 1858: The Battle of Morar was fought during the First Indian War of Independence.
- 1881: Austria and Hungary sign military treaty with Serbia.
- 1881: Austria – Hungary and Serbia sign military treaty.
- 1891: John Abbott becomes the third Prime Minister of Canada.
- 1903: Roald Amundsen of Norway discovered a sea route connecting the Canadian islands across the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. This route is called the Northwest Passage.
- 1911: IBM company is founded in New York. Earlier it was named Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company.
- 1912: Recession in Missouri kills 48 people.
- 1915: British Women’s Institute was established.
- 1963: 26-year-old Russian woman Lieutenant Valentina Tereshkova was the first woman in the world to fly to space.
- 1979: The Muslim Brotherhood killed 62 sheikhs in Syria.
- 1999: Thambo Mbeki is elected the second President of South Africa.
- 2007: Sunita Williams became the longest-lived woman in space.
- 2008: Gay couple granted license to marry in California.
- 2012: Multinational soft drink company Coca-Cola commences business in Myanmar after 60 years.