June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 18 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 18. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 18 June:
- 1576: Haldighati war begins between Maharana Pratap and Mughal ruler Akbar.
- 1802: GA Long is crowned as the first emperor of the Nguyen dynasty in Vietnam.
- 1812: The War of 1812 began between the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.
- 1815: Napoleon’s army defeated Britain in the Battle of Waterloo.
- 1837: Spain adopts new constitution.
- 1842: An elementary school system was introduced in Sweden.
- 1887: Reinsurance Treaty signed by Germany and Russia.
- 1894: First Rosenberry Uganda declared a British patronage.
- 1897: Kyoto University Officiation is established in Japan.
- 1913: The Arab Congress opened in 1913, during which Arab nationalists discussed desired reforms under the Ottoman Empire.
- 1941: Turkey signs a peace deal with Nazi Germany.
- 1946: The first Satyagraha movement for independence from the Portuguese rule started in Goa under the leadership of Dr.Ram Manohar Lohia.
- 1979: Arms control agreement reached between US and Soviet Union.
- 1980: Shakuntala Devi multiplied the two 13 digit numbers and gave the correct answer in 28 seconds.
- 1987: M.S. Swaminathan received the first World Food Award.
- 2003: Google introduced the Internet program Adsense.
- 2004: Chad’s troops kill 69 Sudanese militias.
- 2009: NASA sent a reconnaissance probe to find water on the moon.
- 2013: 31 people were killed and 60 injured in two suicide attacks in Baghdad, Iraq’s capital.