June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 19 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 19. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 19 June:
- 1269: King Louis of France issued an order to all the Jews to wear a badge of shame.
- 1754: The Albany Congress was organized by the seven British colonies and the Irkoui Indians.
- 1770: General Church of New Jerusalem is established.
- 1816: The Hudson Bay Company was defeated by the North West Company in Canada, near Winnipeg, at the Battle of Seven Oaks.
- 1861: Francis Peerpont is elected provisional governor of West Virginia.
- 1865: Union General Graner frees all slaves in Texas.
- 1875: American Marine Hospital was formally inaugurated in the Presidio.
- 1899: Edward Elgar’s Enigma Variations premiered in London.
- 1910: Father’s Day was first celebrated in Spokane, Washington.
- 1921: The Christians of Turkey and Palestine sign the Friendship Agreement against the Jews.
- 1933: Austrian government bans Nazi organizations.
- 1938: Italy defeated Hungary by 4-2 runs and won the World Cup.
- 1948: Soviet Union closes roads leading to West Berlin.
- 1961: Kuwait declares independence from England.
- 1968: 50,000 people demonstrated for economic justice led by Martin Luther King.
- 1981: India successfully launched the Apple satellite.
- 1987: Louis IV is crowned King of France.
- 1991: The Soviet Union liberated Hungary from its occupation.
- 1994: Ernesto Semper became President of Colombia.
- 1996: Famous umpire Dickie Bird M.C.C.Awarded lifetime membership of.