June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 20 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 20. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 20 June:
- 1756: Siraj ud-Daula Nawab of Bengal sought Calcutta from the British.
- 1768: Russo-Turkish War (1768–74), Russia captures the fort of Bar.
- 1779: The Battle of Stono Ferry (American Revolutionary War) fought near Charleston, South Carolina.
- 1782: The bald eagle is chosen as a symbol of the United States.
- 1791: King Louis XVI is caught trying to escape the French Revolution.
- 1819: The 320-ton Savannah became the first steamship to cross any ocean (Atlantic).
- 1840: Samuel Morse patented the Telegraph.
- 1858: The last rebels of the Indian Rebellion of 1857 surrender at Gwalior.
- 1862: Romanian Prime Minister Barbu Katargiu is assassinated.
- 1863: West Virginia becomes the 35th state of the United States.
- 1866: Kingdom of Italy declares war against Austria
- 1874: Lucian Clemons is awarded the first US Lifesaving Medal.
- 1877: Alexander Graham Bell launches world’s first commercial telephone service in Ontario, Canada.
- 1887: India’s busiest railway station, Mumbai-based Victoria Terminus (Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus) opened to the public.
- 1916: SNDT Women’s University was established in Pune.
- 1931: Carl Buresh is appointed Chancellor of Austria.
- 1943: New Georgia campaign begins.
- 1960: Mali Federation (later split into Mali and Senegal) gets independence from France.
- 1990: Earthquake in Iran killed more than 40 thousand.
- 1991: Parliament approves the proposal to rebuild Berlin, the capital of unified Germany.
- 2001: General Pervez Musharraf becomes President of Pakistan.
- 2005: Russia’s cargo vehicle M-53 reached the International Space Station.
- 2012: 105 people killed, 500 injured in community violence in Libya.