June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 22 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 22. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 22 June:
- 1555: Humayun defeats Alexander Suri and declares Akbar as the successor.
- 1740: King Frederick II of Persia ends the tyranny and guarantees freedom of the press.
- 1799: Britain and Russia decide to invade the Republic of Batapace.
- 1814: HMS Leander defeated the USS Rattlesnake at Sable Island, Nova Scotia.
- 1826: Pan-American Congress of Panama (unsuccessfully) tried to unify America’s republics.
- 1857: The Victoria and Albert Museum in London is officially opened by Queen Victoria.
- 1865: Dr. W. G.Grace introduced first-class cricket.
- 1906: Sweden adopts the national flag.
- 1911: Kink George V is made King of England.
- 1918: The Spanish ‘flu’ took the form of an epidemic, causing more than 30 million people to die in 6 months.
- 1939: Subhash Chandra Bose separated from Congress and established Forward Bloc.
- 1941: June rebellion begins in Lithuania.
- 1941: Hitler invaded the then Soviet Russia.
- 1944: US enacted a law to help retired soldiers.
- 1957: The then Soviet Russia launched the R-12 missile for the first time.
- 1984: Virgin Atlantic Airways takes its first flight from London’s Heathrow Airport.
- 1990: Underwater volcano eruption of Mount Dadicas in Philippines.
- 2002: 261 people killed, a large number of people injured in a massive earthquake in northwestern Iran.
- 2009: The longest solar eclipse of the 21st century appeared in India.
- 2012: Paraguay’s President Fernando Lugo is impeached and Federico Franco becomes the new President.