June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 23 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 23. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 23 June:
- 1713: French residents of Assadia are given a year to declare allegiance to Britain or leave Nova Scotia, Canada.
- 1724: Treaty of Istanbul signed, Ottoman Empire, Russia, and Persia partitioned.
- 1757: In the Battle of Plassey, Siraj-Daula invades the British army led by Clive, in which he is defeated.
- 1757: Robert Clive defeated the army led by Surja Doval Plassey, winning control of Bengal.
- 1868: Christopher L.Sholes gets a patent for a typewriter.
- 1894: Establishment of the International Olympic Committee at the Sorbonne in Paris, at the initiative of Baron Pierre de Coubertin.
- 1956: Jamal Abdul Nasir was elected President of Egypt.
- 1960: Security between Japan and the United States.
- 1980: Death of Indira Gandhi’s son Sanjay Gandhi in a plane crash.
- 1983: Pope John Paul II personally meets Lech Walesa, founder and leader of Poland’s independent trade union movement ‘Solidarity’. Martial law was declared in 1981 in view of social tension in Poland and Solidarity was also banned.
- 1985: Air India’s Jumbo passenger plane Kanishka crashed into the air near the coast of Ireland. All 329 passengers aboard the plane were killed in this accident.
- 1991: The African country of Moldova declared independence.
- 1996: Sheikh Hasina Wajed sworn in as the Prime Minister of Bangladesh.
- 2012: Aston Eaton breaks the world record at the US Olympic Trials in Decathlon.