June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 25 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 25. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 25 June:
- 1529: Mughal ruler Babur conquered Bengal and returned to his capital Agra.
- 1741: Maria Theresa of Austria is crowned Queen Regent of Hungary in Bratislava.
- 1788: Virginia becomes the 10th state to adopt the US Constitution.
- 1798: America passes the Alien Act, allowing the president to release dangerous aliens.
- 1868: US President Andrew Johnson passed a law for government employees to work eight hours a day.
- 1927: The drama film The Way of All Messes, starring Emil Janning, premiered in New York City.
- 1932: Indian cricket team played their first Test match at Lord’s ground in UK.
- 1941: Finland declares attack on Soviet Union.
- 1950: Civil war erupts between North and South Korea fighting for the independence, which later takes the form of the International Cold War.
- 1951: American television and radio network CBS airs the first color TV program in four cities from New York.
- 1973: Arskin Hamilton Childers is elected as the fourth President of Ireland.
- 1975: President Fakhruddin Ali declared emergency in the country on the advice of Indira Gandhi government.
- 1983: India defeated the West Indies by 43 runs to claim the title of Cricket World Cup for the first time.
- 1983: India defeated the West Indies by 43 runs and won the Cricket World Cup.
- 1993: Kim Campbell became the 19th Prime Minister of Canada.
- 1993: Kim Campbell became the first female Prime Minister of the 19th Canada.
- 2009: Michael Jackson, who wrote a new definition of music and dance, passed away.
- 2014: Luis Suarez is accused of biting the player of the opposition team during the FIFA 2014 World Cup.