June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 26 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 26. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 26 June:
- 1498: First tooth brush made in China. The first model of modern toothbrushes was patented by a king of China for the first time.
- 1714: Spain and Netherlands sign trade and peace agreement.
- 1718: Tsarevich Alexey Petrovich Peter’s great son from Russia is sentenced for his father’s death.
- 1721: Dr.Zabdiel Boylstone made America’s first smallpox.
- 1848: June Day Rebellion ends in Paris.
- 1870: Christmas is declared a federal holiday in the United States.
- 1879: German company Linde founded by Karl von Linde.
- 1906: The first Grand Prix was held.This competition lasted 12 hours.
- 1906: The first Grand Prix was held in Le Mans, France.
- 1907: A cash-strapped bank coach from Georgia is attacked, killing forty people.
- 1919: Publication of New York Daily News begins in America.
- 1945: 50 countries signed the United Nations Declaration in San Francisco.
- 1949: Women get voting rights for the first time in the Belgian parliamentary election.
- 1960: The French colony of Madagascar gained independence.
- 1963: American President John F. Kennedy addressed a large crowd in the Berlin city of West Germany.
- 1975: India’s first woman Prime Minister Indira Gandhi declared Emergency in the country.
- 1982: Air India’s first Boeing Gaurishankar crashes in Mumbai.
- 1999: World Science Conference begins in Budapest (Hungary).
- 2000: Test status given to Bangladesh by International Cricket Council.
- 2004: Shujaat Hussain becomes the new caretaker Prime Minister following the resignation of Pakistan Prime Minister Jamali.
- 2011: Tseng won the 57th LPGA Championship.
- 2015: A suicide bomber at a mosque in Saudi Arabia carrying 27 Shia Imam al-Sadiq in Kuwait killed 27 and injured 227.