June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 27 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 27. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 27 June:
- 1693: The first women’s magazine ‘Ladies’ Mercury’ was published in London.
- 1709: Peter Roos defeated Charles XII of Sweden at the Battle of Poltava.
- 1743: The War of Austrian Succession: The War of Datingen: In Bavaria, King George II of Britain personally leads troops into battle for the first time when a British emperor commanded troops in the field.
- 1759: British General James Wolfe begins siege of Quebec.
- 1821: New Hampton School was established in the United States of America in the state of New Hampshire.
- 1838: Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, the author of the national song Vande Mataram, was born.
- 1890: George Dixon becomes first boxer.
- 1893: Gold found in Western Australia.
- 1903: 19-year-old American Ida de Acosta becomes the first woman to fly a power plane.
- 1914: America signs a trade treaty with Ethiopia.
- 1939: Birth of renowned music composer and actor RD Burman, who composed music in more than 300 films.
- 1957: The Medical Research Council of Britain issued a report stating that smoking can cause lung cancer. The report was based on 25 years of research.
- 1964: The Prime Minister’s official residence Teen Murti Bhavan was made a Nehru Museum.
- 1967: The world’s first ATM is installed in Enfield, London.
- 1980: 81 killed in Italian plane crash in Terihins Sea.
- 1981: Cambodia adopted its constitution.
- 1998: Kuala Lumpur International Airport opened in Malaysia.
- 2007: Gordon Brown becomes Prime Minister of Britain.
- 2008: Bill Gates, chairman of Microsoft Corporation, resigns from his post.