June is the sixth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, June was the fourth month of the year. It became the sixth month when January and February were added to the calendar. It is the month that has the most amount of daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shortest amount of daylight hours in the Southern hemisphere.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. June 28 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 30 days in June and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
Another belief is that the month’s name comes from the Latin work iuniores which means “younger ones”.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on June 28. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 28 June:
- 1748: More than 200 people were killed in the riots in Amsterdam against the public hanging of two people.
- 1795: French government announces that heir to the French throne has died of illness (many doubt this statement)
- 1820: Tomato proved to be an un poisoned vegetable.
- 1820: Tomatoes proved to be non-toxic.
- 1838: Queen Victoria of Britain was crowned at Westminster Abbey in London.
- 1838: Queen Victoria is crowned at Westminster Abbey, London.
- 1883: The first European central electric power station is inaugurated in Milan, Italy.
- 1884: Norwegian Association for the Rights of Women was established.
- 1895: El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua Central American Union is formed.
- 1919: World War I ends with the signing of the Versailles Peace Treaty.
- 1921: 9th Prime Minister of the country P.V. Narasimha Rao was born.
- 1926: Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz combine companies to form Mercedes-Benz.
- 1952: South Africa leader Nelson Mandela is jailed for the first time.
- 1965: The first commercial satellite Early Bird (Intelsat I) started a communication service.
- 1972: US President Richard Nixon announces that no new draft will be sent to Vietnam.
- 1976: First woman enters US Air Force Academy.
- 1981: China opens road for Kailash and Mansarovar.
- 2007: Apple’s first smartphone known as iPhone came on the market.
- 2012: A series of bomb blasts in Iraq killed 14 people and injured 50.
Important historical events in Indian and world history
- 1712: Jean-Jacques Rousseau, a Genevan philosopher, writer and composer.
- 1921: P. V. Narasimha Rao, the 10th Prime Minister of India.
- 1971: Aanand L. Rai, a Hindi film director, and producer.
- 1973: Vishal Dadlani, an Indian singer, songwriter, and music composer.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1836: James Madison Jr., the fourth president of the United States.
- 1972: Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis, an Indian scientist, and statistician.
- 1987: Gajanan Anant Joshi, an Indian vocalist, and violinist in the field of Hindustani music.
- 2020: Geetha Nagabhushan, a noted Indian feminist writer.