March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 01 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 01. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 01 March:
- 1640: Britain gets permission to open trade center in Madras.
- 1711: Spectator “publication begins in London.
- 1763: Charles Townshend becomes President of the Board of Trade in the British Government.
- 1780: Pennsylvania becomes the first American state to be enslaved.
- 1781: Continental Congress adopts Articles of Confederation.
- 1785: Philadelphia Society for the Promotion of Agreement was organized.
- 1790: The first authorized census of the United States takes place; It was held later that year.
- 1792: Francis II takes over as the last emperor of the Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1803: Ohio was accepted as the 17th state of the United States.
- 1840: Adolphe Thiers becomes Prime Minister of France.
- 1847: Death penalty was formally abolished in the state of Michigan.
- 1851: Victor Hugo used the United States of Europe in a speech at the French National Assembly.
- 1854: British East India Company added Jhasi state of India to their state under the doctrine of Langha.
- 1872: Yellowstone becomes the first national park in the world.
- 1886: Anglo-Chinese school in Singapore founded by Bishop William Oldham.
- 1896: What is radioactivity, first discovered by an experiment of scientist Honorie Becquerel.
- 1901: Census of India was the fourth and first reliable census of the British Raj.
- 1908: Tata Iron and Steel Company was established in Jamshedpur.
- 1914: The Republic of China joined the Universal Postal Union.
- 1951: Nitish Kumar, born 10 years out of Bihar’s socialist movement, was born.
- 1954: The United States explodes the largest eruption by a human in the Bikini Islands of the Marshall Islands in the Pacific. It is believed that the hydrogen bomb was a thousand times more powerful than the atomic bomb that destroyed Hiroshima.
- 1957: U Nu Atomic becomes Prime Minister of Burma.
- 1967: Queen Elizabeth Hall opened in London.
- 1969: First Rajdhani train started between New Delhi-Kolkata.
- 1983: Mary Kom was born who made the country proud by winning medals in the Olympic and Commonwealth Games.
- 1990: 16 people were killed in a fire at the Sheraton Hotel in Cairo, Egypt.
- 1995: First Yahoo! Search interface established.
- 2000: Mubarak Al Shamikh appointed as the new Prime Minister of Libya in place of Mohammed Ahmed Al Gayoom.
- 2004: President of Russia appoints Mikhail Fradkov as Prime Minister. As Haiti’s President Bartara Esistade left the country and fled to South Africa.
- 2004: Mohammad Bahr al-Uloom becomes President of Iraq.
- 2007: Amulya Nath Sharma became the first bishop of Nepal.
- 2008: ICICI Bank Ltd, the country’s largest commercial bank in the private sector, opened its branch in New York.
- 2013: 14 people killed in clash between Malaysian government and rebels.
- 2014: A group of terrorists killed 29 people in a knife attack at Kunming railway station in China. The UK got permission to open a trade center in Madras.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries today in the history
- 1683: Tsangyang Gyatso, the 6th Dalai Lama.
- 1930: Rama Prasad Goenka, the Founder and Chairman Emeritus of the RPG Group.
- 1951: Nitish Kumar, an Indian politician.
- 1953: M. K. Stalin, an Indian politician from Tamil Nadu.
- 1955: S. D. Shibulal, Co-founder of the Infosys.
- 1980: Shahid Afridi, a Pakistani international cricketer.
- 1983: Mary Kom, an Indian amateur boxer.
- 1994: Justin Bieber, a Canadian singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist.
Death anniversaries on this day in India and the world
- 1989: Vasantdada Patil, an Indian politician.
- 1994: Manmohan Desai, a veteran Indian film producer, and director.
- 2011: Fateh Singh Rathore, an Indian tiger conservationist.