March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 03 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 03. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 03 March:
- 1575: Mughal emperor Akbar defeated the Bengal army in the battle of Tukaroi.
- 1707: The sixth Mughal emperor Aurangzeb died and Bahadur Shah I ascended the throne.
- 1845: The United States Congress enacted a presidential veto law for the first time.
- 1847: Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, was born.
- 1849: The United States Congress passed the Gold Coinage Act to allow the structure of gold coins.
- 1863: First American wartime military recruitment bill enacted.
- 1871: The US Congress Civil Service System was established.
- 1875: The first indoor ice hockey game was played at the Victoria Skating Rink in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- 1879: First American female lawyer enters US Supreme Court (Belva Ann Bennett Lockwood)
- 1900: A German scientist named Kotleb Diemler died at the age of 64. He succeeded in making motorcycles.
- 1911: US The Army built the first dental corps, with sixty dentists involved.
- 1915: The United States established the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, NASA’s predecessor.
- 1923: Time magazine was first published.
- 1926: Germany and Afghanistan sign a mutual friendship agreement.
- 1938: Oil was discovered in Saudi Arabia.
- 1943: Gandhi of Mohandas ended his fast after 21 days.
- 1971: Indo-Pak war started and open support of India’s Bangladesh Liberation Bahini was announced.
- 1974: Turkish Airlines DC 10 plane crashed near Paris, killing all 345 people on board.
- 1980: Pierre Tridieu is sworn in as Prime Minister of Canada for the second time.
- 1980: Pierre Trudeau takes over as Prime Minister of Canada.
- 1982: Elizabeth II inaugurates the Barbican Center in London.
- 1992: 263 killed in a gas explosion in a Turkish coal mine.
- 2007: Pakistan tests Htf-2 Abdali ballistic missile.
- 2008: Duffy debuted his debut album “Rockeroy”.
- 2009: Armed people opened fire on the bus of the Sri Lankan cricket team going to play matches in Lahore, Pakistan.
- 2012: 16 people were killed and 50 were injured in two train collisions in Poland.
- 2013: The United Nations declares March 3 as World Wildlife Day.
- 2013: 45 people were killed in a bomb blast in Karachi, Pakistan.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries today in history
- 1839: Jamsetji Tata, an Indian Industrialist and founder of Tata Group.
- 1845: Georg Cantor, a German mathematician.
- 1847: Alexander Graham Bell, a Scottish-born inventor, scientist, engineer, and inventor of the practical telephone.
- 1926: Ravi Shankar Sharma, an Indian music director.
- 1931: Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan, an Indian classical musician.
- 1967: Shankar Mahadevan, an Indian singer, and composer.
- 1970: Inzamam-ul-Haq, is a Pakistani cricket coach and former Pakistani cricketer.
- 1987: Shraddha Kapoor, an Indian actress, and singer.
Death anniversaries on this day in India and the world
- 1644: Guru Hargobind, the sixth of ten Gurus of the Sikh religion.
- 1707: Aurangzeb, the sixth Mughal emperor.
- 1919: Hari Narayan Apte, a Marathi writer from Maharashtra, India.
- 1924: Woodrow Wilson, the 28th president of the United States.
- 1982: Firaq Gorakhpuri, an Urdu poet from India.
- 1995: Nikhil Jyoti Ghosh, an Indian musician.