March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 04 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 04. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 04 March:
- 1789: First US Congress completes and declares the constitution.
- 1791: Vermont was accepted as the 14th US state.
- 1793: George Washington is sworn in as President of the United States for his second term in Philadelphia.
- 1797: John Adams becomes the second President of the US, before he was the Vice President.
- 1797: John Adams is sworn in as the second President of the United States.
- 1801: Thomas Jefferson is sworn in as the third President of the United States.
- 1805: Thomas Jefferson was sworn in for a second term as President of the United States.
- 1809: James Madison elected as the fourth President of the United States.
- 1813: James Madison is sworn in as President of the United States for a second term.
- 1817: James Monroe is sworn in as the fifth President of the United States.
- 1821: James Monroe begins his second term as President of the United States.
- 1823: In the war between the Osmani regime and Greece, the Greek army massacred 12 thousand Muslims in the city of Tripoliza.
- 1825: John Quincy Adams is sworn in as the sixth President of the United States.
- 1829: Andrew Jackson is sworn in as the seventh President of the United States.
- 1833: Andrew Jackson is sworn in for his second term as President of the United States.
- 1837: Martin Van Buren sworn in as the eighth President of the United States.
- 1841: William Henry Harrison is sworn in as the ninth President of the United States.
- 1881: James A. Garfield sworn in as the 20th President of the United States.
- 1882: The first electric-powered tram operated in East London.
- 1885: Grover Cleveland was sworn in as the 22nd President of the United States.
- 1889: Benjamin Harrison is sworn in as the 23rd President of the United States.
- 1893: Grover Cleveland sworn in as the 24th President of the United States.
- 1894: More than 1000 houses were destroyed in a fierce fire in Shanghai.
- 1905: Theodore Roosevelt was sworn in as President of the United States.
- 1908: Transvaal University College established the University of Pretoria.
- 1909: William Howard Taft is sworn in as the 27th President of the United States.
- 1913: Woodrow Wilson was sworn in as the 28th President of the United States.
- 1921: Popular Hindi litterateur Phaniswarnath Renu was born.
- 1930: More than 700 people died in the terrible floods in France.
- 1931: Declaration of consultation and conciliation in the British Viceroy, Governor-General Edward Frederica Lindley Wood and Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (Mahatma Gandhi) on the release of political prisoners and the relaxation of public use of salt.
- 1936: Hindenburg airplane made its official flight to Germany for the first time.
- 1961: India’s first aircraft carrier warship INS Vikrant deployed.
- 1972: Libya and the Soviet Union sign a cooperation treaty.
- 1976: The Magire was convicted for possessing seven explosives, which sentenced him to 14 years in prison.
- 1977: An earthquake in Romania killed 1541 people.
- 1989: 5 dead and 94 injured in train accident at Purley station in London.
- 1997: US President Bill Clinton bans federal funds for any research on human cloning.
- 2001: A bomb explodes at the BBC Television Center in London, UK.
- 2002: 150 people died due to landslides in Afghanistan.
- 2009: A new version of BrahMos missile was tested from Pokhran, Rajasthan.
- 2012: Vladimir Putin wins Russia’s presidential election.
- 2012: Vladimir Putin won Russia’s presidential election amid allegations.
- 2013: An attack in Iraq killed 40 Syrian soldiers.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries today in history
- 1394: Henry the Navigator, a Portuguese Explorer.
- 1678: Antonio Vivaldi, an Italian Baroque composer.
- 1856: Toru Dutt, a Bengali translator, and poet.
- 1921: Phanishwar Nath ‘Renu’, an Indian writer of the Hindi literature.
- 1926: Richard DeVos Sr., an American billionaire businessman, co-founder of Amway.
- 1980: Rohan Bopanna, an Indian professional tennis player.
- 1986: Michel Krieger, a Brazilian-American entrepreneur, software engineer, and co-founder of Instagram.
Death anniversaries on this day in India and the world
- 1852: Nikolai Gogol, a Russian novelist.
- 1925: Jyotirindranath Tagore, a playwright, a musician, an editor, and a painter.
- 1952: Sir Charles Sherrington, an English neurophysiologist.
- 1995: Iftekhar, an Indian actor.
- 2000: Geeta Mukherjee, an Indian politician and social worker.
- 2001: Vitthalrao Gadgil, a leader of the Indian National Congress.
- 2011: Arjun Singh, an Indian politician.