March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 06 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 06. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 06 March:
- 1508 Babur’s son Humayun is born in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- 1712 Slave rebellion begins in New York City.
- 1714 March 6 Peace of Rastat – French Emperor Charles Sahava Habsburg signs a peace treaty.
- 1836 The Battle of the Alamo ends, 182 Texan settler soldiers died in conflict with about 5,000 Mexican soldiers.
- 1886 Nightingale, the first nurses’ magazine, is published.
- 1900 West Virginia, USA In a coal mine explosion in which 50 miners were killed.
- 1902 Madrid Club established in Spain.
- 1902 Real Madrid CF. Established as a football club.
- 1921 Portuguese Communist Party established.
- 1960 Switzerland gives women the right to vote in local body elections.
- 1961 India’s first financial daily newspaper ‘The Economic Times’ launched by the Times of India Group in Bombay.
- 1962 Ambika Chakravati, the great revolutionary and warrior, died.
- 1964 Constantine II becomes king of Greece after the death of his father King Paul.
- 1971 A fire at a mental hospital in the city of Burghölzli, Switzerland, killed 28 people.
- 1981 US President Ronald Reagan announces 37,000 federal job cuts.
- 1984 A year-long operation begins in the British coal industry.
- 1991 Prime Minister Chandrasekhar Rao resigns from his post.
- 1996 Iraq accepts ‘oil plan for food’ under UN resolution, Irish Republic Army declaring 25-year war with Britain, denying quick ceasefire.
- 2003 An Algerian plane crashes in Tamarasset, killing more than 102 passengers.
- 2009 The sking-wing fighter aircraft MiG-23 made its final flight after serving the Indian Air Force for three decades.
- 2013 Syrian rebels capture the major city of Er-Raqqa.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries today in the history
- 1475: Michelangelo, an Italian sculptor, painter, architect, and poet.
- 1508: Humayun, the second emperor of the Mughal Empire.
- 1812: Ishwar Chandra Gupta, a famous Indian Bengali poet, and writer.
- 1915: Mohammed Burhanuddin, the 52nd Dai al-Mutlaq of Dawoodi Bohras.
- 1937: Valentina Tereshkova, a member of the Russian State Duma, engineer, and former cosmonaut. She is the first and youngest woman to have flown in space with a solo mission.
- 1965: Devaki Pandit, an Indian classical singer.
Death anniversaries on this day in India and the world
- 1947: Sir Halford Mackinder, an English geographer, academic, and politician.
- 1973: Pearl S. Buck, an American writer, and novelist.
- 1982: Ayn Rand, a Russian-American writer, and philosopher.
- 1992: Ranjit Desai, a Marathi writer from Maharashtra, India.
- 2005: Hans Bethe, a German-American nuclear physicist.
- 2015: Ram Sundar Das, an Indian politician and a former Chief Minister of Bihar state.